• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Laser engraving

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark
Whats a cad got to do with Laser engraving?

cad
A rogue, or bounder. A cad is a man who is aware of the codes of conduct which seperate a gentleman from a ruffian, but finds himself unable to quite live up to them. Cads are quite capable of disguising themselves as good chaps for some time, only revealing their true nature in circumstances of particular stress or temptation. Others embrace their caddishness whole-heartedly and delight in behaving in a manner which is, to be quite frank, not cricket.

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
George, the easiest route to CAD is as follows:

If you're only interested in 2D, as Alex says its easier, download Inkscape for free. You'll find its just like drawing.

If 3D is your bag, download Sketchup for free. It's a LOT harder to wrap your head around.

Now that you've got the software, go to Google and search either 'Inkscape tutorial' or 'Sketchup tutorial'. Have a few days available to trawl through all of the stuff you'll find! :bwink:

I manged to get The full auto desk package for free as I am a student I would of been £4,500 if I had to buy it

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
Getting the package is not the problem, learning how to use it is my nemisis.
Mark CAD computer aided design I think.
What I need is to send text direct to board somehow ideally through a paint programme.
I have seen somewhere that claims to do such a thing but have slept since then and can't rmember where.

trapper

Registered
Well idealy you need something like corel draw or Artcam feeding via mach3 as your g code provider driving the steppers...... what im trying to build should in theory allow script to be engraved even on clips or around the pen inkscape should be able to do this but either way i agree its learning how to use the programmes thats the brain nummer

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).