• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Lathe slows when turning

Toothillcollie

First Name
Tony
Can anybody provide assistance, my axminster lathe slows down when I am turning a bowl or smoothing a branch.
I have contacted axminster and their tech support have advised cleaning and greasing the pulleys, replacing the drive belt and replacing the capacitor.
I have tried all of the above and no joy, as it is still in warranty I may have to send the headstock to them and possibly lose a couple of weeks of pen turning before the Christmas craft fair season.
Any advice greatly appreciated.

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
If its when your applying pressure and it ramps back up when you remove the pressure then it's most likely the drive belt.... If you have cleaned the belt and pulleys , have you got the correct tension back on it?? :scratch_head:

Toothillcollie

First Name
Tony
I changed the belt for a brand new one that axminster supplied but no joy, the motor is still turning at normal speed but the head pulley stops. I have a video
. Its all very puzzling so probably sending it to Axminster but thanks anyway

Pauls

First Name
Paul
I’m not familiar with that model lathe. It appears that the drive belt is still driving even though the shaft has stopped. My pulleys have a key way held in place by a grub screw - if this is the case with your m/c then I would be checking the key and grub screw.

alpha1

Fellow
First Name
Dave
How are you tensioning the belt. Normally you slacken the motor hold down bolts then move the motor away from the lathe to take up the slack on the belt then re tighten the bolts.

pittswood

Fellow
First Name
Kelvin
Have you checked the key that runs between both of the top pulleys. There is a small ball type oiling aperture on the end of the final drive, make sure its oiled. Make sure the two top pulleys are free to slide along the top shaft. Make sure the lower pulley and spring moves, also check the tension on the belt, when its in its top speed.
I had problems similar to yours, I replaced all the pulleys, belt and key. Also check the main head bearings, mine had a grind on the front, so changed them also. No problems since and that was do some four years ago.
Kelvin

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Certainly the belt slipping problem as you have already changed the belt I would suggest that you check the reeves drive this may well be a case of stripping and giving it a good clean and lubrication. These do need a clean now and then but not necessarily a complete strip down once you have done the initial strip and clean.
Be carful of using a pully on the larg pullies as it has been known for them to break