• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Pierre---

First Name
Pierre
Bonjour à tous.

This is to show you my last turning, a box full of holes, worms are working hard those days...
Four main spheres plus one for the finial, between 78 mm and 15 mm OD, all of them 3 mm thick where the little circles cross each other. The interior spaces intercommunicate. The lid is threaded. Boxwood and ebonized pearwood.

Thanks for your critics and comments.

View attachment 30560

View attachment 30561

View attachment 30563

View attachment 30562

bassethound

Executive Member
First Name
Ted
That is a real beauty Pierre, must have been a job turning all those holes all the same size..:ciggrin: looks great to me, well above my capability! :drool:

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
A job well done Pierre a fantastic piece of work I could imagine this being a very delicate piece to turn

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Very Eastern Mystical to dream of quality and precision Pierre . One of the masterpieces ever on the forum. Carrying the Lattice theme so far and well brings it to the intricate the like of I have seldom seen. All of this securely set on a lovely base. It takes forever to follow the patterns created and established. A monument to skill and aspiration. If we had a front page intro this would be it for me. Where have you been hiding this skill?

Peter.

Pierre---

First Name
Pierre
Thanks for your nice words mates.

Would you care to share a little about how you set about making it?
Basically, I turn two hollowed half-spheres 3 mm thick, and I make grooves inside, a wee bit deeper than half the thickness :
View attachment 30578

Then I glue them together to make a whole sphere, and I make the grooves on the outside, perpendicularly to the inside grooves. Holes appear, all at the same time in a perfect word. The main problem I faced was not fragility, but lack of precision in diameter, roundness, thickness, depth of the grooves. If measurements or turning is imprecise, the piece is usefulness. Here is one of my best pieces, I almost did not had to clean the holes:
View attachment 30579

And one of my numerous issues:
View attachment 30580

Then I opened the main sphere :sob: to make the lid. The threading of the lid was made on a shop-made threading machine I use for the pens. I made the holes for connecting the spheres, with some additional wood pieces for connection and for widening the glueing area. Turning finials, base and legs was peanuts then...

I have to pay tribute to Hans Weissflog, a master in lattice work. I worked two days under him, he showed us lattice on a flat thin piece. I felt like going a bit ahead on this way.

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Like you Pierre I have done the flat work but now need to be brave enough to take it that next step like you have done and try a ball.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).