• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Learning to turn

Woodturning exchef

Apprentice Member
First Name
Alan
Hi,

I have been turning wood for three years now, all I know is self taught, and, if I do say so myself, I have a knack for the basics. I first used this as a therapy for myself after a succession of mental hiccups brought on by the pressures of running a 46 bedroom country house hotel, drinking, working months without a day off, 18 hour days, insomnia and the pressure of hotel life all caught up with me with a bang.

Three years latter the table in the dinning room is beginning to creak under the weight of finished items and I have finally plucked up the courage to do six craft fairs this year. Like my days in kitchen I love to learn new techniques and skills, and I am well aware of the fact I have some bad habits, I tend to just use my 1.25 inch skew chisel for everything being just one. I have also been told off by a guy on a pen turning discussion as I laughed off breaking two finger while trying to learn how to make bowls, personal safety in any job on any equipment is of importance, but to be honest, there is not one item of equipment in my workshop that is more dangerous than the industrial kitchen has to offer, and I always treat any piece of machinery with respect, and, accidents will always happen.

With this said, I am looking for a tutor in the Gloucestershire area to teach me how to produce work a little more advanced than that I produce currently. I am hoping to make a few quid from this new skill, not just turning, as I make small tables, picture frames and boxes, but turning is the most technical of the new skills and I have ideas that outweigh my skills or knowledge of the equipment I will need.

With that said I and asking if anyone knows of or is a tutor in the Gloucestershire area or courses that run in this area, and how much it would cost?

Attachments

• IMG_1302.jpg
    IMG_1302.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_1288.jpg
    IMG_1288.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_1438.jpg
    IMG_1438.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 62

Woodturning exchef

Apprentice Member
First Name
Alan
Cheers for that, bit too rich for me. Their cost are twice the going rate for a head chefs daily earnings, and half my half my monthly income. Maybe I will just continue teaching myself.

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Why not join a club as well, you'll pick up lots of tips and tricks.

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
As Paul said a club is a great resource and you should find someone to help hands on.

Good to see you back Paul

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
My best suggestion is get in contact with Woody there are so many member friends of his who can help there, all the best .

Peter.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).