• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Lignum Vitae - to cut or not to cut

Ratty

First Name
David
I have a nice piece of genuine Lignum Vitae given to me by an old friend many years ago. Not sure if to cut it for pens or if it is worth more in a larger piece?
I have four blanks from the edge I did cut off but now I am not sure. I know it is hard to get in any size at all, so don't want to mess this one up if it may be used better in a larger piece.
I know it is genuine Lignum as my friend used to deal in wood and this piece goes back at least 40 years, so should be quite well seasoned now as well.

Not the best photo I did have a couple more but they vanished between my phone and One drive.

Cheers
Dave

Attachments

• WP_20170313_19_47_04_Pro.jpg
    WP_20170313_19_47_04_Pro.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 42
  • WP_20161116_10_12_04_Pro.jpg
    WP_20161116_10_12_04_Pro.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 41
  • WP_20161116_10_12_14_Pro.jpg
    WP_20161116_10_12_14_Pro.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 44

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
I tend to leave wood as larhe as possible until I know what I want to make as soon as you cut it you wish you hadn't.

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
Looking at it David you could split it and get two nice bowls out of it or cut it up for pen blanks and get 40-50 pens out of it. I know what I'd do mate and it's not the bowls option. Others may have different thoughts.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Try cutting length ways about blank size ,the slice blanks across the grain, turn one and be amazed how beautiful it should be heaps left. Decision time then.

Peter.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
The effect before turning cut across Hairy Oak it transforms timber.

Peter.

Attachments

• DSCF0004-001.JPG
    DSCF0004-001.JPG
    138.6 KB · Views: 34
  • DSCF0008.JPG
    DSCF0008.JPG
    128.4 KB · Views: 36

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
I'd agree with Derek and Keith, keep as large as possible until you decide what to do. Lig Vi pen blanks aren't expensive but large pieces are!

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
I'd agree with Derek and Keith, keep as large as possible until you decide what to do. Lig Vi pen blanks aren't expensive but large pieces are!
I'd go along with that too. In fact I'd go so far as to say that a small piece on a pen may make actually quite a bland pen. The wood is often not that interesting to look at in small sections, and certainly not the stunning tiger stripes on Peter's hairy oak. It reacts to light quite quickly, and any figuring you have will dull down sooner than you would hope for. A bowl made from a larger piece may be a different concept however. Heresy I know, but there it is.

Ratty

First Name
David
Thanks for the replies, I will make up a couple of the blanks I cut already.
I think I will then just put it to the back of the rack again and see what I feel in a few more years.

Cheers

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).