• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Lots of Chatter about another Finish.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
On the IAP there is talk of a finish that uses Black Light to set it, touted as better than, far superior to CA etc.

Our Dentists are using similar glues etc every time they get a chance so it must be relatively safe along with mercury based fillings being phased out.

The usual talk of high cost of material. The product name is a choice from SOLAREZ.

Peter.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Interesting, I thought Solarez was a UV light cured epoxy resin for repairing surfboards, but I guess if it is clear and can be applied thinly it could be used as a finish.

One to watch.

Other Surfboard material is used for casting so I guess that industry moves forward with new products all the time.Mates of mine use them but sellers are going broke because of the real costs of repairing boards these days.

Peter.

Peter.

TK woodman

Graduate Member
First Name
Tony
there is now a flexible CA glue so I wonder where the " the only way is melamine finish " sits with the we know best brigade

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
there is now a flexible CA glue so I wonder where the " the only way is melamine finish " sits with the we know best brigade

I think the "we know best brigade" have always thought that the only finish to use was CA glue. They constantly tell us so on Facebook and the American forums in the same way that friction polish users used to do when CA was newly introduced as a finish.

The rest of us are prepared to move with the times, experiment with new products such as the one Peter has mentioned and not remain stuck with only one option for finishing. We might occasionally write the odd tongue in cheek post to stir the stick in the muds out of their complacency but in reality we remain open minded and prepared to try any new finish. The objective is to achieve the best finish possible not to score or prove points.

Not all CA glues are the same and the new low odour and flexible varieties have properties that seem likely to be an improvement but before making any claims for or against them I would want to either have experimented with them myself or know the views of someone who actually understands and has studied the properties of the product. Ed Street for example is someone whose opinion on CA adhesives is one I would respect, pehaps he has an opinion on the flexible varieties.

Vic Perrin

Executive Member
First Name
Vic
Well I for one will still keep clear of CA glue as a finish .

Mind you I am always open to trying new products. When the manufacturer comes up with the product called "CA Wood Finish" I would give it a try :wink:

21William

Fellow
First Name
William
Thin water clear Epoxy would be a good choice for pens I would have thought, it's used on boats so must be tough. Dentists obviously need adhesives that set quickly but do pen makers? I don't think so. Still, good marketing will no doubt prise lots of money from those wanting to try the next thing.

Bill Mooney

Blind old git
Grand Master
First Name
Bill
Back in the eighties I used a wood floor lacquer on knife handles & it is the best I've ever used. It was high gloss, very durable as the knives went into the dishwasher without any problems. It's main fault was fumes & I think it was phased out because of this.
As Walter says, no one is trying to score points. I'll use what I want to use for a finish whether others agree or not. If it works & I like it I'll stick with it until something else comes along which is better. I've tried ca with mixed success, more failures than triumphs so I moved on. I now use melamine or acrylic lacquer which I find works well & for me is easier to apply & polish to a finish. At the end of the day it's an individual choice. If it works for & you're happy then fine but don't discount other finishes. It's always worth experimenting.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
The possible benefit of the Solarez is that it goes on, self leveling when you are ready you harden it with UV light even such a portable torch. The disadvantage of CA its not self leveling can set real quick in some circumstances or surfaces.

Today I rang 3000 miles away in Perth Australia the only Australian agent for Solarez they only bring in the product for specific purposes other than pens. But I remember when product for hardening was like that only available really from the USA, now its like grasshoppers everywhere, made in Texas USA.

Sometimes grass roots products such as the original step drill I still use over thirty years for cleaning and reaming Slimlines remains IMHO the best thing since sliced bread.

Peter.

bigbob

Graduate Member
First Name
Bob
I agree with Walter that you should try anything and everything finish wise and not be adverse to trying something new then stick(no pun intended) to the method that you are happy with until something else comes along including different ways to make or sand etc should always be on the lookout for new ways out of interest and curiosity that is how we arrived at current ways of doing things. Thank you Peter for the heads up.

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Thanks for the post Peter.

My comments are

Don't knock til ya tried it..

I agree with all comments above and watching the over the pond to see what happens..

Remember, everything new isn't always the best.

Remember "Thalidomide, that was marketed as a sedative with apparently remarkably few side effects.":vangry:

So WTF happened there?

Thinking all the things new are great should be taken forward carefully, just my thoughts.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Thanks for the post Peter.

My comments are

Don't knock til ya tried it..

I agree with all comments above and watching the over the pond to see what happens..

Remember, everything new isn't always the best.

Remember "Thalidomide, that was marketed as a sedative with apparently remarkably few side effects.":vangry:

So WTF happened there?

Thinking all the things new are great should be taken forward carefully, just my thoughts.

Eamonn when Wilma had our 6 children she was potentially drugged from day one to delivery the most popular drug was Thalidomide for most Aussie Doctors, thankfully our Docs shunned it. So you will not find a more careful approach than mine. Good warning however inanimate pens do not get morning sickness these days they suffer from kitless disease a malady to be wary of in the high spending times.

Peter.:thinks:

21William

Fellow
First Name
William
Out of curiosity I had a look at the relevant thread on the IAP site. It's early days but I can't say I'm convinced by what I've read so far. Talk of having to use up to seven coats, sticky finish that needs to be removed etc and the high cost of the materials. It seems one of the finishes is still in development so I'll reserve judgement until a suitable product is finalised. One of the guys on IAP did display a very fine looking finish using this method although one of the other examples was pretty mediocre. I look forward to seeing how someone on here gets on using this method.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).