• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Made a pen yesterday pics to come.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
I could not get ten chisels to look at it, the first half took me an hour and a half. Then in my memory bank I remembered a Dutch Turner at a Turn Around hours from here while everyone did interesting things he made a masterpiece nearly three feet across of the angriest burl you could imagine . Stuck at it for three days I was in touch with him later on he got 800 dollars for that huge platter. The only tool he used was a 1/4 inch gouge carefully.

So I trotted out my 1/4 inch gouge and like magic it cut so well I finished the other half in no time.

I tried 6 different Skews it was painful, any number of bowl gouges, even rotated the tool twice on the 15mm carb bit, rubbish slow and pitted.

THe timber is some form of material that flashes in sections when turned in the light, like shot silk, the name had long gone on the blank, an Australian pine with no smell.

JUst goes to show horses for courses. Pics tomorrow.

Peter.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).