• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Making scrapers ?

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Thanks for that Grump, I like the concept of that a lot.

I have some HSS steel in square and bar though it's in a drawer and I cant remember exactly what. When I took over a depot all those years ago we had a major clearout and I rescued some old industrial thick planer blades. I might look at whether it's possible to form maybe a skew perhaps?

I'm getting ahead of myself again - must learn to turm properly first:whistling:

Bob

Planer blades make excellent turning tips

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I'll have a dig tomorrow to see what I have. You wouldn't believe just how much treasure (wifie says junk) I've collected.

I would believe you Bob should have seen the amount of stuff I cleared out when I was told to give up turning the strange thing is now I have been given the all clear all that so called junk would have come in so handy now for making my own tools

Jim

Grand Master
I'll have a dig tomorrow to see what I have. You wouldn't believe just how much treasure (wifie says junk) I've collected.

I threw out some small pieces of wood today, after about 10 minutes i was back in the bin picking out pieces that I thought I would use at a later date.. I hate throwing anything away ... Your right Lons, it is treasure ... :bwink:

rowdyyates115

It's Showtime.....
Fellow
That looks excellent.

Just a couple of questions: Does the grubscrew stay tight in use? Is there a locating indent / hole for the grubscrew in the tool bit?

Bob

So far touch wood, apart from adding a dab of Loctite Blue 242 nothing has shaking loose yet. And I haven't put a hole for the grub screw yet. But it's on my mind....
Will keep you informed.....

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Rowdy the tool you showed is what I refer to as a Bedan we had a royal? visit from Jean Paul ? famous turner from france some years ago and he and his ancestors use these almost exclusively flat ground at 45 degrees that visiting fellows father and grandfather also were pro turners ballustrades to bowls he is famous for his offset turning and his own design chuck now to achieve it.

Kind regards Peter.:goesred:

rowdyyates115

It's Showtime.....
Fellow
Sorry Peter missed this post... Thanks for some of the history on this type of Chisel, I didnt even know or ever have heard of Bedan before...:thumbs:

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
I threw out some small pieces of wood today, after about 10 minutes i was back in the bin picking out pieces that I thought I would use at a later date..

The trick is to have a couple of buckets in the shop, offcuts go in the first bucket to be reused at another date, after use the remnants of these offcuts go in a second bucket awaiting final use after which they go in the fire wood sack. :thinks:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).