• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Mandrel saver, my version (another of my silly ideas) or has it already been done?

21William

Fellow
First Name
William
Looking at your design I think it can be simplified for use with a standard mandrel. All you would need is say a short length of say 3/4" bar bored out to suit your mandrel with a countersink at the end to fit a standard live centre. Would that work? I have some 3/4" alloy bar if anyone wants to give it a try, I could knock one up? The only close size reamer I have though is 1/4".

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
I wouldn't recommend alloy bar William, unless it's a very tuff alloy. Steel can wear and bent quick enuf init.
Short lengths would encourage whip IMO, dunno fr sure, never been stupid enuf to try it nor had the need.
The author of this idea was doing it from boredom more than necessity.

21William

Fellow
First Name
William
Steel would be good Grumps but I'm partly thinking of the postage myboy. I don't mind making one up for someone else to try as I've not yet got all the bits I need.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Steel would be good Grumps but I'm partly thinking of the postage myboy. I don't mind making one up for someone else to try as I've not yet got all the bits I need.

Go to frecycle, dump or back of your pc shop and get the rods from old printers, they are great for lathe work and making this sort of thing init?
I do.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).