• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Mandrel wobble in the middle

EStreet

Registered
First Name
Ed
Drill rod has the same problem. It's diameter vs length. Everything flexes to a degree. This is why the adjustable length mandrels are superior to the rest. They fled the least when you only have one tube on the mandrel.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
All I have done for ever it seems is halves or short one piece. From the first pen I watched guys supporting the blank in the mandrel dismissed that right away. As well as point to the end of the mandrel.

Peter.

21William

Fellow
First Name
William
If you're doing anything other than slimlines then you can increase the diameter of the shaft. I chose 7mm which takes a bit more bending than the 6.25mm ones. The American "B" size mandrels are even fatter at just under 7.4mm. You just need to drill or ream the bushes to suit.

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark
If you're doing anything other than slimlines then you can increase the diameter of the shaft. I chose 7mm which takes a bit more bending than the 6.25mm ones. The American "B" size mandrels are even fatter at just under 7.4mm. You just need to drill or ream the bushes to suit.

Great idea William, I have a couple of B mandrels I have never used.:thumbs:

Burt25

First Name
Ian
I had the same problem with my evolution Mandrel - I checked it on the ground flat bed of my Bandsaw and it was slightly bent. I contacted Axminster and they sent me a replacement with no questions. The replacement shaft has been 100%

Bill Mooney

Blind old git
Grand Master
First Name
Bill
When I turn a two piece pen I only ever turn one piece at a time & I use a mandrel saver to give a short shaft. It keeps vibration down & lessens the chance of bending the shaft.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
When I turn a two piece pen I only ever turn one piece at a time & I use a mandrel saver to give a short shaft. It keeps vibration down & lessens the chance of bending the shaft.

Exactly what I do, it makes so much sense:thumbs:

Peter

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek

+1 Bill that is what I do also

fortress

Registered
First Name
John
I only ever turn one piece at a time, and now I turn between centres with live and dead cone centres, I find it's much better and everything runs much truer. The only downside is you can't get the tool rest as close as you would like, could do with a two inch tool rest. :thinks::thumbs:

EStreet

Registered
First Name
Ed
Says who?
4a0e95dd590242dc720c9177cc3981be.jpg

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).