• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Melamine Finish

Mr Finch

First Name
Coll
Never having used it before I bought some Chestnut melamine finish for my pens.

I have now tried it on a couple of "practice" turned pen blanks (not finished pens!) to get the method right. I have failed completely so far. No shine at all on a bubinga blank. I want to switch to melamine because of the oil in bubinga type woods killing the CA finish. Couple of questions:

1. Should I expect a shiny finish on a pen, right off the application?
  2. How many coats of lacquer do people apply?
  3. Has anyone got any videos of their process?
  4. Should I just give up on oily woods and stick to acrylics?

TiA!

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Are you applying a sander sealer before the spray. I use the Chestnut Acrylic Gloss Lacquer over sealer and get great results. Also with any oily wood I give it a quick wipe just before applying the sealer with thinners

Mr Finch

First Name
Coll
Thanks for the response Derek. I bought the wipe on, not the spray and yes, sanding sealer first after a wipe (and let it dry) with meths.

Bill Mooney

Blind old git
Grand Master
First Name
Bill
If you want a high gloss finish then use high gloss lacquer, either acrylic or cellulose which will be a spray finish which you can burnish with burnishing cream if required.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).