• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Microclene Air Filters

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Well I wont be creating any dust today I am having a lot of trouble getting my breath today so its sat back with my feet up I wonder if it would have been any better if I had used dust control years ago just a thought but for me its to late now but not you you youngsters beware dust of all sorts is dangerous you wont feel it today only when its to late to do anything about it

Now that I wholeheartedly agree with you take it easy dad.
Young lungs are the ones that need protecting, we grew up in an age where pollution wasn't a consideration I used a wire brush on asbestos before painting the damn stuff 40 years later it's killing off my mates.
And that is only a small part of the story init?
MDF is banned everywhere but here and we sand it like there's no tomorrow, there won't be one day init?
So on and so fifth.

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
Well I wont be creating any dust today I am having a lot of trouble getting my breath today so its sat back with my feet up I wonder if it would have been any better if I had used dust control years ago just a thought but for me its to late now but not you you youngsters beware dust of all sorts is dangerous you wont feel it today only when its to late to do anything about it

Poor Vi I bet she's run off her feet fetching cans of John Smiff's to keep you happy !!!! LOL:funny::funny::funny:

Seriously I hope your feeling better soon !!!

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Yes Brian I have lost old friends to asbestoses it was made in a factory not far from were I lived all them pipes we lagged in the stuff and roofs covered with it sawing the stuff I think people would be horrified if it was made public just what it was put in with no warning as you say there was no real protection

Terry why do we marry these woman if it aint to bring our John smiffs and to make us happy we have to let them feel wanted LOL :whistling::whistling:

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
I have a home made primary extraction system close to the bandsaw and lathe . When working you can see the dust being sucked in like a fine trail of smoke, plus I use a good quality face mask.

Attachments

• P1060208.JPG
    P1060208.JPG
    189.1 KB · Views: 34
  • P1050163.JPG
    P1050163.JPG
    187.7 KB · Views: 34

Goulss

Registered
First Name
Stewart

Take care mate, I am sure Vi will be soothing your fevered brow!

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I have a dust collection system it called a broom

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

You Alex are one of the people who should seriously consider dust extraction you have a lot of years ahead of you and I would hate to see them years cut short by dust there are a lot of men who's working life have been cut short because the protection wasn't there and your broom dose nothing but stir up dust

chas_41_uk

Registered
First Name
Chas
Likewise I always wear a face mask and visor. Usually work with the shed door open, unless it is raining and have an old Goblin wet & dry Vac that I have turned on with the nozzle next to the lathe when I'm sanding. :tongue:

Hope your feeling better soon Woody :thumbs:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
As an apprenticed sparkie my firm used to do most of the boiler room work for a huge companies installations the asbestos came in 44 gallon drums emptied on the cement floors you could hardly see through the clouds of dust it was turned into a slurry slapped around hot water pipes and bandaged then painted. Had a navy mate engine room guy when ships were refitted not that long ago either in our Navy the Captain an old salt with fixed ideas ordered the ship to sea and proceeded to insist the new fangled lagging be replaced you guessed it by hand some so and sos have a lot to answer for.

Get well soon Woody.

Peter.:thumbs:

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Take care woody..

Oh dear...... Pet hate.... :rant: coming

I agree with you all, but most importantly use common sense, yes I know common sense can't be measured but if we didn't have any then we shouldn't be playing life and death with some of the machinery in our workshops if we had none..:face:

Any way, to answer the original old question..

The micro clean filters have there place in the workshop the same as any other dis abatement system.

However the point Walter is making is take it out of the atmosphere before it becomes a problem, or don't create the dust in the first place.. That's not going to happen is it now..

Well the first item that must be considered should be a primary system that takes the dust away from the lathe, bandsaw circular saw or any other tool from its source. Therefore not getting in to the atmosphere in the first place.

Then the second item should be the PPE, to prevent any getting in to the user..

The third and final piece should be the workshop filter, why third? We all the workshop filter will do is pick up the left overs from the poor primary system that you are using,, I say poor as if top you had the right type of primary unit then you won't need a secondary workshop filter..

If you think you are all happy with your workshop then google PM10 or PM2.5 in to it and see what it's all about.. That's the stuff you need to stop getting in to your lungs, and even for us oldies then it's important to stop the dust getting in to the lungs. Any weakness in the lungs will be amplified when dust gets in and impacts it further..

Anyway, I have been dealing with dust abatement equipment for nearly 36 years and can honestly say that a good primary system is critical and worth spending out on.. In my opinion if you have to resort to a workshop filter then the primary one is not doing its job.. Simples...

But I would recommend one of these
 3M™ Versaflo™ Heavy Industry PAPR Kit TR-300-HIK 1/case: PPE Safety Solutions - 3M United States

Stunning piece of kit.. :thumbs:

Anyway, enough of my babel. But remember the oldies amongst us have seen some 'not so nice' practices in elf an safety over the years! but it doesn't make it right to keep ignoring it and still keep doing it when we all know its wrong..
:rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant:

Rant over.... Sorry....

amazilia

Does anybody use one of the Trend helmets ? I have wondered about getting on, they are not cheap and I'm not sure how small a particle they protect you from, but could be a good solution for me.
Regards Terry

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
I looked at the Trend and for woodturning they are probably superb but I use a lot of superglue much to some peoples disgust and the Trend helmet will not filter out the fumes, on the contrary more than likely force it into your mask so I ended up getting a Vesaflow as Silver has recommended. It is very comfortable to wear, does not impede my vision and after a very short time I don't even know I've got it on.
There is a much lighter weight helmet that I bought and while it is very expensive, I was getting to the point where I couldn't breath sometimes after being in the shed. Now I can be in there all day with no problems.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
I have one of these stupid Darth Vader looking things from Trend, and a spare for Charly when she comes to play.
I will say it is actually quite good in as much as I can still wear my glasses and there is no fogging.
Thinking to put it on is my problem I can't be arsed, and don't even like wearing a surgical mask which I make visitors wear if they are watching.
I always have and still do rely on my nasal hair to filter for me, keep gob shut and get on with the job init?

airace_fa.jpg

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
It is very comfortable to wear, does not impede my vision and after a very short time I don't even know I've got it on.
There is a much lighter weight helmet that I bought and while it is very expensive, I was getting to the point where I couldn't breath sometimes after being in the shed. Now I can be in there all day with no problems.

I agree fully Paul, yes they are expensive but for me there is no second chance.

I have had mine about two years now and the battery is still good and last all the time I get in the shed.

Even used it when I was cutting some concrete slabs with a 9" angle grinder :winking: neighbours have me some funny looks.. Certainly yed turning....

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Turning is like driving all the things you mean to do and dont all the faults we see in others habits,we are all driven by different devils but I have noticed the 3M company thriving on our fears charging like wounded buffaloes. Methinks I will have to get out my old Airflow
incidentally anyone with one ask and I will show you how to save a bomb on the replace batteries about an hours work, stronger batteries to boot. If I remember right Brian said not to:fart: or eat curry wearing a waist intake tube.:down:

Peter

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).