• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Micromesh Grades

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
6000 = 4microns
8000=. 3microns
1200 presumably = around 1 micron

I imagine when you get as fine as a couple of microns there's not a lot of abrasives that can get that fine hence equivalent ratings for standard abrasive like aluminium oxide don't need to go that low.

I use a 3 micron paper it's designed to polish fibreoptics, there is little abrasive feel to the paper.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Never felt the need for micro mesh. I note Timberbits who does all the pens for a prestige gallery near me uses down to 400 only, always has, can,t fault his finishes.

Peter.

Pierre---

First Name
Pierre
Converting is difficult, MM 12000 is around P 4000 - 6000 I have heard. But I never met a P 6000 sheet so I cannot compare...

Never felt the need for micro mesh. I note Timberbits who does all the pens for a prestige gallery near me uses down to 400 only, always has...
I am not sure to agree Peter, by the sight of this vid where David uses the whole set.

Of course, one can do without it for a satin finish, but to obtain a sword-like reflect MM is invaluable for most plastics and CA, imho.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Converting is difficult, MM 12000 is around P 4000 - 6000 I have heard. But I never met a P 6000 sheet so I cannot compare...

I am not sure to agree Peter, by the sight of this vid.

Of course, one can do without it for a satin finish, but to obtain a sword-like reflect MM is invaluable for most plastics and CA, imho.

Gratefull for this info Pierre I figure I go back to far. I have the immaculate early pen from David when he never used micro mesh. We swapped through the U BEaut pen swap when David had been turning only a few months. Because we swapped in person we established a friendship that is important to me. I never use MM and my finish on plastics is blemish free and brilliant gloss. I never liked the use of water anywhere near the lathe.

Earlier today I said I do learn more every day, thank you.

Peter.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).