• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Minwax

DJB Penmaker

First Name
Derek
Have a look at the John stones poly

Quick Dry Polyurethane Floor Varnish - Johnstone's Trade Paints

I have the minwax and also some johnstones as well. It's what I use on my boxes. Dries quickly as well..

It's is very similarly to minwax and won't bother buying any more minwax TBH.

Go on, I know it's only large 2.5 l tins available..
There's a Johnstone's trade centre just up the road I'll go and see them. It's good to know it works for you

Derek

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
Thanks Walter. Trouble is I need 3 different grades of CA, thin for stabilising, medium for finish and thick for gluing tubes! That's what works for me.
Derek

Medium for finishing, epoxy or PU for gluing tubes would solve two of those steps and water based poly isn't going to help with stabilising or gluing tubes either. :thinks:

DJB Penmaker

First Name
Derek
Bunnings stopped selling it a few years ago, I tried NT, SA Vic. only person I found that knew what I was asking for was a seppo, who said " I'ts very popular in the states":thinks:
Hmm, yes a strange answer (had to look up what a seppo is first) haha.
Derek

DJB Penmaker

First Name
Derek
Medium for finishing, epoxy or PU for gluing tubes would solve two of those steps and water based poly isn't going to help with stabilising or gluing tubes either. :thinks:
Yes you are right Walter, still need to use CA for stabilising!!! Unless I get into pressure pot stabilising every blank. There really is no easy fix to replace CA in every step.
Derek

Bammer

Fellow
First Name
Brad
Yes you are right Walter, still need to use CA for stabilising!!! Unless I get into pressure pot stabilising every blank. There really is no easy fix to replace CA in every step.
Derek

You'll need a vacuum chamber for stabalising.

21William

Fellow
First Name
William
I’m not sure but I think Les has stopped using the wipe on version of Minwax? I’m sure he’ll be along in a while to confirm...

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).