• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Mortar and Pestle

Pierre

Graduate Member
First Name
Pierre
I do quite a few markets in the local area mainly in the summer and I have now reduced winter to 2 from 10. Apart from the pens which form a major stock in trade I get asked for mainly what the French call 'La Vaisselle' which loosely translated into English means the 'washing up' .... Logical I suppose :thinks: One item which comes up about 10 times per year is the mortar and pestle (including replacement pestles) so here is the latest. The mortar is Ash and the pestle is wild bird cherry (merisier). The trick is in getting the curve of the bottom of the mortar to match the curve of the crushing part of the Pestle. I only make these to order since finding a thick piece of dry ash is difficult. I now have a whole ash tree drying but there is at least 2 years to go and very soon there won't be anymore!!

27495.jpg

27496.jpg

PG

Pierre

Graduate Member
First Name
Pierre
Very pretty, and functional, Pierre. Have you tried using sycamore? It was often used for kitchen treen.

Yes I have but as with each wood I try the first piece just to make sure that I am not selling something aesthetic but non-functional, I found that sycamore/maple was very soft at the beginning although after usage it hardened and so the first impact on the customer was that it was too soft and that they were not too fussed with giving it time to break in. So I normally go with a really hard wood first so there is no argument. Normally I make my pestles out of Oak, this time I have used merisier because I was told that it would be mainly used for garlic.

I make a lot of salad bowls and 'chip and dips out of field maple.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
How are sales for earthanware Motars and Pestles in your area Pierre? The market is flooded over here in fact never seen wooden ones at shows much. Why use timber? There is no Chef in me.

Peter.

Pierre

Graduate Member
First Name
Pierre
How are sales for earthanware Motars and Pestles in your area Pierre? The market is flooded over here in fact never seen wooden ones at shows much. Why use timber? There is no Chef in me.

Peter.

Oddly enough its either wood or granite, earthenware mortars tend to break under the forces and in this area there is a great tradition of wood so the locals at least like a locally made item that is not only decorative but functional. The bizarre thing is that the French will use them and the Brits put them up for decoration, The one above with the ball on the end is in a friend's kitchen and she won't use it because 'Its too nice', yet I make them to be used!!

PG

Scots Bill

Registered
First Name
Bill
Aye, I have a granite one. Never used it yet, and I was a head chef many years ago. Just plain grub for us now. Think the idea of the sycamore was it was food safe and did not taint the food, but I take your point Pierre, you do some wonderful work. Yes the French know their cookery all right, no doubt.:thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).