• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

My 1st Acrylic pen: Axminster Euro twist

webby962

First Name
Adie
Lessons identified on this, my first ever foray into turning acrylic:
1: Turning wood is much more fun and satisfying
2: Wet sanding with the micromesh pads is much more fun and satisfying than on wood :-)
3: I just love the glass like finish
4: The lathe is harder to clean than with wood
5: Acrylic smells, and not in a good way.
6: I will no doubt be doing more, as I was very happy with the end result. But wood is still my favourite!

2016-07-23 19.56.48-1.jpg

2016-07-23 19.55.53.jpg

Oh cheers for the tip on cutting in a small step for the centre band on the bottom blank.

2016-07-23 19.19.56.jpg

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
You have got a great finish on it:thumbs:

Peter

AllenN

Fellow
First Name
Allen
Very nice Adie. Whilst I agree that wood is nicer to work with, don't give up on acrylic and other artificial materials, they can make some lovely pens and other items.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
I have a bunch of Acrylics to do one day they do finish so well. With our cold back in vengence right now max temps in the day around nine my workshop is not heated and vast.

Peter

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).