• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

My first Bowl

hawkeyefxr

First Name
ken
Well this is my first bowl, it can't be seen but the bottom is a bit thicker than i wanted. When it was chucked up it felt it was getting near to i chicken out. It's Elm and was really hard to machine, i had to give my gouge a touch up quite often though i may well be my use of the tool i have since found out.

DSCN0559.jpg

Vic Perrin

Executive Member
First Name
Vic
That's a great first effort Ken. Nice to see a bowl we don't get enough of em on here. Some nice skills shown with the shape and finish. Keep em coming Ken as much as I enjoy making pens my real love is Bowls, Vases, Platters etc

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Bill Mooney

Blind old git
Grand Master
First Name
Bill
It's a nice bowl for your first attempt Phil. It looks like some toolmarks on the inside curve going into the bottom. We've all had this problem. Slow feed & light cuts with a sharp gouge can eliminate this. Well done.:thumbs:

hawkeyefxr

First Name
ken
It's a nice bowl for your first attempt Phil. It looks like some toolmarks on the inside curve going into the bottom. We've all had this problem. Slow feed & light cuts with a sharp gouge can eliminate this. Well done.:thumbs:

Yes your right about the marks. I have a lot to learn and i will keep at it. Your mention of sharp tools, this particular bit of Elm was very hard indeed. I had to do frequent stops for sharing the gouge. I did make a small pot of elm as well but that piece of Elm was much easier to turn.

rayf6604

Registered
First Name
Ray
There's nothing wrong with a chunky bowl. If you want to go thinner have you got any callipers for measuring thickness? They are an invaluable tool when hollowing a piece.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

hawkeyefxr

First Name
ken
There's nothing wrong with a chunky bowl. If you want to go thinner have you got any callipers for measuring thickness? They are an invaluable tool when hollowing a piece.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Yes i have calipers. Two cracks appeared in the wall of the bowl inside and out, i filled them with CA but it made me wary of other cracks i couldn't see. decided on safe, ok i'm chicken lol.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).