• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

My first Bowls/urn

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
My Mate's wife died on Thursday and we were talking about the ashes and an urn, I offered to make one from wood which the Family think is great. He has seen all my turnings from the very beginning and I remembered that I had a box of my first turnings that weren't finished because I didn't know how to finish them. They were kept and put away by my wife in case I wanted to finish them now I know a bit more. I remember my wife was not impressed as they included bark intrusions, bark, holes and many, many other imperfections. I was really pleased with them myself, I put a lot of work into them even though I didn't have a clue what I was doing. The first one she thought was like an urn for ashes and I was a little insulted, but I think she was right.

Peter

Oak Burr
VIS_0085.jpg
VIS_0086.jpg
VIS_0087.jpg
VIS_0088.jpg
Forsythia Root
VIS_0089.jpg
VIS_0090.jpg

Jim

Grand Master
Some nasty pieces of wood there Peter, but you certainly made them come back to life .. :thumbs:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
A nice set of bowls Peter. You certainly pick your timber for your first tries. Very nicely turned.:thumbs:

I was given the burrs and the forsythia was in the garden so when I dug the root out I thought I would give it a go, I learned so much from turning them.

Peter

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Seems to me that you chose some tough blocks of wood to start your bowl turning career off with Peter, but hey you sorted them out alright.:thumbs:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Seems to me that you chose some tough blocks of wood to start your bowl turning career off with Peter, but hey you sorted them out alright.:thumbs:

I just didn't want to turn prepared blanks I wanted to challenge myself and I certainly did that. I have turned a couple of regular bowls since, but while they are quite nice they weren't as exciting to turn.

Peter

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
Always good to have something by which to measure your journey. How long ago did you make those Peter?

I can see a slight flaw in the success of the first one as an urn though I'm afraid. :bwink:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Always good to have something by which to measure your journey. How long ago did you make those Peter?

I would have said I have been turning for a couple of years, but when I asked my wife who has a better grasp of reality she reckons that I have been turning since 2010/2011. I can remember that I turned all three on my first lathe which was about 30 years old and had been used for a couple of hours in total before it was given to me, a Swedish Luna with no morse taper or bore in the headstock and I think the lowest speed was 750rpm which is amazingly fast when the wood isn't balanced.

I can see a slight flaw in the success of the first one as an urn though I'm afraid. :bwink:

Those holes were not flaws, they were design opportunities, with a lid on you could sprinkle the ashes in a controlled fashion:whistling:

Peter

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).