• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

My small steps towards turning my first pen...

Melchior

First Name
Emil
At last!! I turned my first pen! I choose plum wood that I cut down in the garden! I felt right as the first pen to turn. A friend stabilised it with cactus juice, iI do not think it penetrated well but it does not matter.

But I am very satisfied with the setup. Lots of lessons learned. Including protecting the drivedogs sharp corners, i did not hurt myself but as you say, not comfortable sticking the knuckles in it.

But here are the pics:
5a28966e04a0bfca12030c92575daebe.jpg

b1deed8842e4047220fdc72805f049dc.jpg

b7f62cdb2222fc72773e19d6b0010408.jpg

09b0e3ef44c2b8439ab8943a750d1134.jpg

718efa354c65ea393a56dac0259c9a0d.jpg

fbb85e6bac537646d898c8837de83115.jpg

06b172d369464bca7ae8e43de8ae9e07.jpg

974634e4c8677e4cddde21e9462f4f33.jpg

0e6a9c5cbb8a3bc6538215d194defabf.jpg

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Melchior

First Name
Emil
Lessons learned:

- be careful touching the bushing, I got black iron residue in the wood pores that I could not completely remove.
- Need to ponder how to fill the pores, ca seems to be a good thing.
- I need to learn how to sharpen the tools better.
- I need to put the lathe higher up, I had to stand like a cheese doodle.
- it worked well to use a bif file at the end to make everything more straight.
- I NEED MORE PEN KITS AND A BIGGER LATHE. :)

Melchior

First Name
Emil
Had some problem with the ball not rolling well. The second that I tried did not work either. But the third did, it was from another kind of kit. It had a small plastic cap on the ball. Seemed to be better quality.

286b8464494f46787cc8e1b95f55898e.jpg

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Achievement plus excitement what more could you wish for mate. Steep learning curve in there. Final result is real and special.

Peter.

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
Had some problem with the ball not rolling well. The second that I tried did not work either. But the third did, it was from another kind of kit. It had a small plastic cap on the ball. Seemed to be better quality.

286b8464494f46787cc8e1b95f55898e.jpg

Emil the small piece of plastic on the ball is there to prevent it drying up before use. Just scrape it off with your fingernail, it's on most slimlines

Melchior

First Name
Emil
Achievement plus excitement what more could you wish for mate. Steep learning curve in there. Final result is real and special.

Peter.

I cannot wish for more. I am wearing a smile on my face today. My newly turned pen is lying here on my desk, eagerly waiting to take notes in my next meeting. :)

Regards,
Emil

Paul hd

Fellow
First Name
Paul
Lessons learned:

- be careful touching the bushing, I got black iron residue in the wood pores that I could not completely remove.

Hi Emil,
Congratulations on your first pen, looks fantastic.

Buy or make yourself plastic bushings. Once you have finally finished sanding you then swap out the metal for the HDPE.
No more nasty black residue and if you do use CA it is a lot easier to separate from your pen body.

Here is a vid showing them being made.

Make your own Non Stick Pen Bushings - YouTube

Melchior

First Name
Emil
Hi Emil,
Congratulations on your first pen, looks fantastic.

Buy or make yourself plastic bushings. Once you have finally finished sanding you then swap out the metal for the HDPE.
No more nasty black residue and if you do use CA it is a lot easier to separate from your pen body.

Here is a vid showing them being made.

Make your own Non Stick Pen Bushings - YouTube

Oh, thank you for your tips and praise. I will surly buy some of that plastic rod and make some bushings for ca finish. Was surfing around this morning to find ways of doing CA finish.... Really good tip.

Regards,
Emil

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).