• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

My workshop equipment: A lathe with very special features not found on other machine

Edward Po

Interesting looking lathe Edward, the skill to make such a lathe is most admirable :bravo:

Do you have a youtube video clip or such of the lathe in action?

Please continue to subscribe to this thread, I can ensure that it is worth your time spent watching the various video clips

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
I like what i see with the lathe but why am i thinking it is more of a sales pitch than an hobbyist. :whistling:

Edward Po

I like what i see with the lathe but why am i thinking it is more of a sales pitch than an hobbyist. :whistling:

I am sorry that my posting sound like sales pitch, it never my intention to do. My problem is that I can only acess to the forum using my tablet phone. All my photos and video clips are in my PC which I can access in the evening
once I get off from work thus limiting my ability to upload any materials.

Also, once this thread has served its purpose, I am willing to supply at the necessary drawings and technical support to anyone here who are keen to make one

Edward Po

This the second size unit that I have constructed:

DSC_0998 800 x 600.jpg

The capabllities are as per the smaller unit with the following changes:

Head stock

Swing over bed : 250.0 mm
Max diameter of work piece (free hand) : Diameter 420.0 mm
Max Diameter for template copying : 400.0 mm (Approx.)
max Diameter for sample copying : Diameter 220.0 mm (Approx.)
Motor rating :1-1/2hp 3 phase 50hz 2 poles

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I guess that answers my question it is a copy lathe very well made and a beutyful looking machine but sorry it is not my cup of tea but very good for those who want one

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Fine for those who want replicas but takes the handcrafted aspect away from the craft I fear.
Not for me sorry, I wish you luck same as any enterprising idea.
I do quite a bit of copy work but it is that, measure, plot, endeavor, that's all part of the fun.
Knowing it's gonna be exactly the same is not my bag nor is it what my customers want.

MikeD

Registered
Hi Edward,
Your videos certainly clarified the principle of operation of your lathes. They appear to have a similar approach to Japanese systems in having a freely movable tool rest whereas in the West we are more familiar with tool rests that are clamped into a fixed position before the tool engages with the wood.
I can see the benefits of your approach, not only for copying but also for adding routed splines and spirals to the work. On the copying application I was surprised to notice you could rotate the tool post from side to side, I would have thought that this could cause massive inaccuracies and that you would be better insuring the tool was always presented at 90 degrees to the wood.
I assume the bed of the lathe could be cost reduced by using a kitchen worktop or similar construction and fitting a metal rail to fix the relationship between the headstock and tailstock?
I would be interested in the design of your headstock as I could see a use for that in the construction of a simple, but large, bowl turning lathe.

Looking forward to more information

Mike

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Morning Edward I was correct my memory allowed me to contact an old mate who had a lathe like yours only the larger one made under the name of Symtec the designer of this lathe being your Confrere and Mentor Les Geyer in Sth Australia you acknowledged. My mate had his for years earning a living from it. It was sold to another mob who visited us in Canberra with a mobile unit used to demo around Australia the dissapeared from the market again. Fantastic to see it resurrected by you over in Singapore wish you good fortune with it.

Kind regards Peter.:thumbs:

Edward Po

Morning Edward I was correct my memory allowed me to contact an old mate who had a lathe like yours only the larger one made under the name of Symtec the designer of this lathe being your Confrere and Mentor Les Geyer in Sth Australia you acknowledged. My mate had his for years earning a living from it. It was sold to another mob who visited us in Canberra with a mobile unit used to demo around Australia the dissapeared from the market again. Fantastic to see it resurrected by you over in Singapore wish you good fortune with it.

Kind regards Peter.:thumbs:

Sorry for the late reply because I was out station. Anyway your memory is correct, although the various dimensions and specification of my home build machine are different from the original Symtec machine, the concept of both machines are the same. The other difference is that for reason only known to Mr. Geyer, Symtec does not manufactured the small machine. As a pen maker, I found that I much prefer to own a smaller unit especially when I was hoping to operate it in my high rise apartment. What happened was that in the year 1984 I had to honour and privilege to know Mr Geyer while he was demonstration his machine in my country. As a design engineer I was very attracted to the machine thus without any hesitation I engaged him for some engineering discussion. From there I was given an opportunity to help him in turning some of his ideas into prototype for testing. Thereafter, I was offered to manufactured the machine under license.

Edward Po

Hi Edward,
Your videos certainly clarified the principle of operation of your lathes. They appear to have a similar approach to Japanese systems in having a freely movable tool rest whereas in the West we are more familiar with tool rests that are clamped into a fixed position before the tool engages with the wood.
I can see the benefits of your approach, not only for copying but also for adding routed splines and spirals to the work. On the copying application I was surprised to notice you could rotate the tool post from side to side, I would have thought that this could cause massive inaccuracies and that you would be better insuring the tool was always presented at 90 degrees to the wood.
I assume the bed of the lathe could be cost reduced by using a kitchen worktop or similar construction and fitting a metal rail to fix the relationship between the headstock and tailstock?
I would be interested in the design of your headstock as I could see a use for that in the construction of a simple, but large, bowl turning lathe.

Looking forward to more information

Mike

Good morning Mike: (It 7am here in Singapore)

I do not have any idea how the Japanese machine works, I do know that copy process in my machine is very simple. What I sometimes did was to turn a work piece to what I want freestyle on the machine still using the tool jig (with the style removed from it). Once I have completed the job, I will then transfered to the attachment yo make additional copies. Unfortunaly, this machine cannot do copying from sample for face turning i.e. turning bowl etc, it can only make copies from template. (Will post photos to illustrate tjis evening).

As for direction of cutting, the specially designed can do its job from any angle very safely without it being gouged into the work even with big square wood block.

N

MikeD

Registered

Edward Po

Hello Mike:

Sincere apologize for not replying you asap. I am currently overseas thus I have problem accessing the network at my current location. Also the other problem I have is that I do not have my engineering drawings with me. However, I have hand drawn a section view drawing through the head stock showing all the important components. Hopefully it will be of some help to you. Note: Safety cover for head stock and grinding wheel not shown.

Section viewthrough HS 800 x600.jpg

If you refer to the above photo, the purpose of the M24 x 3 Left handed thread at the rear of the head stock spindle was actually designed to mount a face plate for extra large bowl turning. A adjustable tool rest mounted at the side of the machine legs will support any conventional chisels. This feature was not build into the smaller unit because I intend to use it just for pen turning however, as I am staying in a high rise apartment this machine may still be too big for me. For long term plan, I am considering to build a extra small machine with about 200 mm between centers and 60 mm center height.

As mentioned by you in your last postings, it is completely possible to fabricates the whole machine out of strong timber except perhaps for the main spindle shaft, various bearings and the grinding wheel. Other possible method of construction is mild steel sheet materials. Also with careful planing and marking you may not need metal precision working machine to do the job. I did not attempt to use any of these construction methods or materials because my best skill is in metal machining, more important is that I am building these machines for my hobby use and not for sale, thus I do not mind using materials that are much more expensive etc. If you keen to build a similar machine like mine, I can provide you with any drawings (total more than 120 sheets) or technical knowledge that will help you with your task. Do let me know if you need any more details. I will certainly follow your machine building with lots of interest :wink:

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark
This is a most impressive Lathe you made.:thumbs::thumbs:
The name LESLIE GEYER rings a bell, but cannot think were I know that name from.
My uncle bought lathe like this in Adelaide back in the 1970's it cost him a couple grand back then, he still uses it.

turnaround360

Caracktycus Pots
Fellow
First Name
Frank
Hi ive seen your lathes before you wear selling the concept somewhere and some were a bit objective but i tbink it looks great well done.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).