• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Natural edge Burr - Disaster !

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Just had a look on your link to the burr and as the guy says in his description a good level of skill is needed which says to me it has rotted a bit to far and in all fairness Phill your still learning mate so really it is fare dose I have given the same sort of description when selling spalted pen blanks but I do add it has spalted a bit to far but as you have said yourself it is a good learning curve for you

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
Hi, matey,

I was afraid that this would be the answer, and it's hard to fault the seller. As I've said earlier, this is NOT the wood you would expect for a bowl blank, and contacting the seller is the right way to go. However, if Woody's description is correct and the seller warned a would-be purchaser re the skill level required then maybe you should have heeded that advice. But all is not lost! Save the wood and, as your skills improve, go back to it and cut a smaller bowl. If you have an Axminster (or wood merchant) nearby why not go along and pick a blank off the shelf? It'll probably cost a Tenner or thereabouts but at least you will see what you are buying. Good luck in your future turning!

Bob.

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
I think the thing here is "skill level", if it had stated that it needed some kind of prep then I would have asked for more info before buying or starting on it.

Skill level and requires a tenners worth of stabiliser are 2 different things :funny:

Ah well, you live and learn.

Shame I'm not nearer somewhere like TR as the Axminster in Nuneaton doesn't carry much in the way of blanks.

Thanks again all for the help and advice, just another example of why this place is as great as it is.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).