• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Natural edge Sycamore bowl

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
I'd just love to know where people get this kind of wood from to be honest.

Especially after my experience with the burr off eBay :sob:

I did offer :whistling: & the offer still stands :bwink:
Though I can't promise that it will have all the splits & checks Terry's timber has :funny::funny::funny:

Only joshing Terry :kiss::kiss:

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
I'd just love to know where people get this kind of wood from to be honest.
::

Shame it just doesn't grow on trees.

But seriously a decent size bandsaw is the answer to your question. Quite a few tree surgeons have a yard and a few visits will soon narrow it down to a couple who do more than hedge trimming work for the council. Another good source is to talk to the council tree officer, if you find out when local trees are going to be felled then you can normally scrounge more than you need provided you don't mind getting your car filthy!

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Woody,

I think I know your response to this one anyway, but I'll still ask!

With the substantial size of the foot on this bowl why did you chose to hold it via compression not expansion. Surely the former would have removed the need for remounting?

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Shame it just doesn't grow on trees.

But seriously a decent size bandsaw is the answer to your question. Quite a few tree surgeons have a yard and a few visits will soon narrow it down to a couple who do more than hedge trimming work for the council. Another good source is to talk to the council tree officer, if you find out when local trees are going to be felled then you can normally scrounge more than you need provided you don't mind getting your car filthy!

My car is always filthy ! Some good tips here folks and I will try and follow up on them.

Just got slapped with 250 quid for the MOT so that's the bandsaw fund buggered AGAIN !

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
My car is always filthy ! Some good tips here folks and I will try and follow up on them.

Just got slapped with 250 quid for the MOT so that's the bandsaw fund buggered AGAIN !

Know what your sayin' Phil ..Aint life a bitch ?:down:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).