• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Nature of the wood or my technique?

busby42

Apprentice Member
First Name
Sam
Hi again,

I have just turned and part way through finishing a blank for a bolt action tec pen. I am noticing very dark dots or streaks in the wood (very strong in the pictures below). This one is using some Indian Babul wood. Is this just a property of the wood, is it a poor quality wood/blank or am I just doing something wrong? I didn't get anything like this from some Laurel Burr I turned previously.

The second 'feature' I have noticed is shown in the third picture, this has happened in two different woods (the Indian Babul and a Chilean Laurel Burr), again, is this a property of the wood or my technique?

Can I do anything to prevent either of these two occuring as both seem to detract from the finished article?

Thanks all
Sam

View attachment 30823
View attachment 30824
View attachment 30825

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
I can't see a problem Sam. What I can see is some great looking blanks with distinctive markings.

zanz

Apprentice Member
First Name
Reuben
Looks normal to me. Sometimes if you go too hard on your sandpaper, usually with very fine grits, you can get color transfer/grit coming off. I had some pink ivory take on a sort of dirty appearance after sanding it a bit hard with some fine black sandpaper. What is it about the third picture that you're concerned about?

Pierre

Graduate Member
First Name
Pierre
You can get metal transfer from the bushings which will fill the pores I would suggest that you seal the piece with sanding sealer as you get to the higher grits this will stop most of it and try to avoid sanding the bushings as you are working the piece. Beech really marks up as does pink ivory.

PG

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
Bloody hell, don't use it, it's crap. Send it to me and if you've a truck-load I'll have it all!!!

That's some lovely wood you've got there, Sam!

Bob.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
I undercut my bushes to prevent any interference with the blanks. Using the caliper for measuring. Yes there can be carry over with black paper in the fine grades, change to white then.

These timbers are quite appealing really.

Peter.

Bill Mooney

Blind old git
Grand Master
First Name
Bill
Take no notice of their advice. The timber is no good for pens. Send it to me & I'll try my best to salvage something.:ciggrin:

chas_41_uk

Registered
First Name
Chas
Its perfectly normal. As already said part of the beauty of wood :thumbs:
Ignore anyone who says you should send it to them, unless of course your really unhappy with the way it looks, then I'll take it off your hands, all totally free of charge :wink:

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
All that has happened in photos 1 and 2 is that you have exposed the ends of the cells that make up the longditudinal grain, which happen to show up as dark in that particular species. In other words, because the grain in wood is rarely straight or exactly parallel to the axis of your lathe, you are seeing end grain from a side view.

In photo 3 you are seeing what are called medullary rays, which are cells that in some species grow perpendicular to the lingditudinal cells.

None or what you are worried about is your fault or have anything to do with bushes or sanding transfer. In both cases they are a perfectly natural part of the figuring in the wood which help to form its character and beauty, and particularly in the case of medullary rays, are highly prized by woody type people.

However, if you send it all up to me I will have a closer look for you and make sure I am correct:drool:

busby42

Apprentice Member
First Name
Sam
Right you are guys and thank you for the advice/reassurance, I'm pleased I found my way here! Phil, your explanation did it for me, now I understand what's going on in the wood.

Now, with all your reassurances, I will go ahead and assemble :thumbs:

I think I'll find a good use for the remainining blanks I have, but thanks for all your kind hearted offers to find them good homes :winking: I'll know what to do should I ever disown them

Bammer

Fellow
First Name
Brad
All that has happened in photos 1 and 2 is that you have exposed the ends of the cells that make up the longditudinal grain, which happen to show up as dark in that particular species. In other words, because the grain in wood is rarely straight or exactly parallel to the axis of your lathe, you are seeing end grain from a side view.

In photo 3 you are seeing what are called medullary rays, which are cells that in some species grow perpendicular to the lingditudinal cells.

None or what you are worried about is your fault or have anything to do with bushes or sanding transfer. In both cases they are a perfectly natural part of the figuring in the wood which help to form its character and beauty, and particularly in the case of medullary rays, are highly prized by woody type people.

However, if you send it all up to me I will have a closer look for you and make sure I am correct:drool:

Anorak Alert :funny::funny::funny:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).