• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

New Axminster Chuck

21William

Fellow
First Name
William
I won’t be buying one myself as I don’t need it but it’s not cheap is it. I highly rate my old SK100 but prices have gone up hugely since I bought mine.

5-AF24657-505-F-4-DD2-BA7-D-970711-A2-AF39.jpg

pittswood

Fellow
First Name
Kelvin
I've got two record power SC4 chucks, the first one in a combo set at £130, also all the jaws to go with them. Good value and had no trouble with them. Plus to boot, you can change the inserts of your chuck, to other turning lathes with different threads, for about £20. That's value for money.
I also have an old S80 chuck, made by Axminster, fixed thread. Only use that for dirty jobs, not much good.

Kelvin

21William

Fellow
First Name
William
I've got two record power SC4 chucks, Plus to boot, you can change the inserts of your chuck, to other turning lathes with different threads, for about £20. That's value for money.
Kelvin

That’s a bit of a double edged sword. I had a SC4 and it didn’t run perfectly true, whether is was the chuck or the insert I don’t know. I now prefer the accuracy of a direct threaded chuck. I agree it’s probably less of an issue if you only turn big stuff or bowls etc, but the problem really shows when you’re rechucking things like boxes. The exception of course is the Versachuck that uses a separate backplate, I’d expect these to be more accurate than a threadsert.

21William

Fellow
First Name
William
I’m glad I took up many of my hobbies before I retired because I couldn’t afford the tools now!

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).