• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

New Byron fountain pen

TVS

Fellow
First Name
Woody
Trying out a new kit the Byron its quite a nice kit the components fit together nicely a worthwhile kit to try it also has a wheel on the clip which is a big improvement on the old kits that had them years agoIMG_7637.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7638.jpeg
    IMG_7638.jpeg
    853.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_7639.jpeg
    IMG_7639.jpeg
    447 KB · Views: 14

Padster

Graduate Member
First Name
Paddy
I like that - great finish as always, not heard of the kit - may I ask where you sourced it?

Padster

Tom.1946

Graduate Member
First Name
Tom
Tvs lovely looking pen as usual.
Had one off those days turned five good pens.
Then one acrylic came unstuck and a piece broke off when turning down to Bush. Done an acrylic Sierra and it came apart and part still stuck in tube and can't get out. Thinking off changing from Sierra but don't know what as I do like the Sierra...

TVS

Fellow
First Name
Woody
Tvs lovely looking pen as usual.
Had one off those days turned five good pens.
Then one acrylic came unstuck and a piece broke off when turning down to Bush. Done an acrylic Sierra and it came apart and part still stuck in tube and can't get out. Thinking off changing from Sierra but don't know what as I do like the Sierra...
Put the tube back on the lathe and turn the rest of the blank off the tube and start again for removing parts from the tube get a set of transfer punches insert the correct size in tube and give it w good whack with a hammer

Tom.1946

Graduate Member
First Name
Tom
There are three parts for the Sierra two of which screw into each other, as you probably know. It is the part that is furthest away from the nib end that has come loose and stuck in the clip end. I can't punch out the clip because it is stuck in it.
I am wondering if the tube has went in at an angle, as this is the second one I have had problems with and when trying to get it out it came apart in three pieces as the brass insert is still stuck in the tube.
Any recommendations for a similar type of pen, but don't think I have enough knowledge for a fountain pen as I can't get to grips with the European pen kit.....

Paul-H

First Name
Paul
Axmiinster do a couple of pens of the Sierra type that go together without any issues, look for their Vennetian and Eligance kits.

TVS

Fellow
First Name
Woody
There are three parts for the Sierra two of which screw into each other, as you probably know. It is the part that is furthest away from the nib end that has come loose and stuck in the clip end. I can't punch out the clip because it is stuck in it.
I am wondering if the tube has went in at an angle, as this is the second one I have had problems with and when trying to get it out it came apart in three pieces as the brass insert is still stuck in the tube.
Any recommendations for a similar type of pen, but don't think I have enough knowledge for a fountain pen as I can't get to grips with the European pen kit.....
Before you start to turn do you clean out the inside ends of the tubes as very often a smear of glue can get in their and cause no end of assembly problems