• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

New Member- I am Peter Dutton new to the Forum

Peter D

Registered
First Name
Peter
I live in N Baddesley near to Romsey. I have been making Pens for about 4 years.
I recently visited my brothers in Australia, My Brother John who helps the local Men’s Shed,
gave me some very nice blank sized pieces of Australian hardwoods.
I was wondering if any of you had had experience of Australian Black Wattle!
I am not sure if John sent it as a Joke because as I started to drill an 8mm centre hole with a well respected Brad point drill- Nothing except the 1’5 mm depth of the brad point!! Is this wood harder than iron wood that
Was used by the sailors of old?,

alan morrison

Fellow
First Name
Alan
Welcome to the forum, Peter.
Some of those Aussie hardwoods are hard like concrete.
When I lived there I was given some hardwood rings to cut up for firewood and could hardly make a mark on them with an axe.

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
Welcome to the forum, Australia has some great timbers as we do, Huon pine smells the best in my opinion :thumbs: