• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

New pen for the new year.

Hallelujahal

Graduate Member
First Name
Alex
Nice, though it’s not a kit I’ve had a great deal of success with, my fault nothing to do with the kit.
However you’ve really done it justice 👍 somebody’s going to love it!

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
The Mistral is a beautiful kit and needs dressing well....is that one of Vinces old premium cellulose blanks?? :thumbs:

alpha1

Fellow
First Name
Dave
What never ceases to surprise me is the reception I get from the Woodturners Club I recently joined. They are all amazing woodturners but when I show a pen especially if it’s a kittles pen. They get super excited and want know how it was done.
I have noticed some of them do make pens but they tend to be the cheap and chearfull ones probably to show new turners how it can be done.
I will try and re educate them. LOL

Tom.1946

First Name
Tom
A Mistral fountain pen. I like this kit. Not a very good picture.
I still make the slimline and Streamline pens, but have moved over from Sierra to Beaufort kits. However I wish I was in your woodturning club as I have never made a fountain pen nor segmented a blank or a Celtic knot. I was taught by one tutor who has now left and the other has bad health and can't always get in.....
So apart from pens, Christmas trees or snowmen, that's all I have made and only have been taught to use three tools
Roughing gouge, skew and a spindle gouge but can't always get it right as I keep taking lumps out of the trees.......

howsitwork?

Graduate Member
First Name
Ian
I still make the slimline and Streamline pens, but have moved over from Sierra to Beaufort kits. However I wish I was in your woodturning club as I have never made a fountain pen nor segmented a blank or a Celtic knot. I was taught by one tutor who has now left and the other has bad health and can't always get in.....
So apart from pens, Christmas trees or snowmen, that's all I have made and only have been taught to use three tools
Roughing gouge, skew and a spindle gouge but can't always get it right as I keep taking lumps out of the trees.......
Tom

suggest you watch Meet the Woodturner , Pat Carroll meetthewoodturner@gmail.com .

Pat is in Ireland and there are loads of turners n groups . Maybe if you ask he might be able to put you in touch with another group or tutor ? Either way it’s worth getting in touch to get an invite to the online meetings
Alan note you’re online , can you give him any guidance ?

alan morrison

Fellow
First Name
Alan
Tom

suggest you watch Meet the Woodturner , Pat Carroll meetthewoodturner@gmail.com .

Pat is in Ireland and there are loads of turners n groups . Maybe if you ask he might be able to put you in touch with another group or tutor ? Either way it’s worth getting in touch to get an invite to the online meetings
Alan note you’re online , can you give him any guidance ?
I have not come across Pat Carroll, though as there are no woodturners near me I had to learn by myself.....Internet helped.
There is a woodturning club near where Tom @Tom.1946 lives, which he probably is aware of, and they hold demonstrations every week or so.
Tom would be able to meet like minded folk there.

TVS

Fellow
First Name
Woody
maybe not a good photo but it still shows the quality of your pen turning and finish nice one

ValleyBoy

Graduate Member
First Name
Ash
Very nice! Love that kit and that resin is, I think, a Conway Stewart either Pistachio or Bracken (from memory but I may be wrong).