• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

New project

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
Well it may be old hat to some but i am giving it a go....
Some may know i like to play with bullet cases and have had reasonable success....but i am now trying to do bullet case pens from scratch.....using once fired brass cases and real bullet heads20170901_163731.jpg
I have always bought things to make these easy, but a chance convesation with a work mate has landed me a reloading press and loads of bits inc powder!!
So stage 1 drill out the bullets.....i need a collet chuck for this yes.....well no i took my mandrel out its chuck and the bullets fitted perfect....bit messy this lead but slow and cool.
Stage 2 bullets fall into case so out with the press...put some dies in and hey presto it pops the primer out and re sizes the case neck to a tight fit with the bullet.
Stage 3 drill the bases out...i have measured the transmition at 6.1 so 6mm drill will give a good fit
Stage 4 i can now insert the bullets so back to the press....great bit of kit....pushes the bullet in to any predetermined depth.
Stage 5 insert the mech and i am good to go!!

Bill Mooney

Blind old git
Grand Master
First Name
Bill
I've heard of heating the bullet tips & melting the lead out Mark. I'm going to try some bullet tips myself when I get sorted. Best of luck.

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
I do exactly what Bill said

I got a chunk of old hardwood and drilled some deepish holes so the bullets sit point end up in the top and just heat with a blowtorch, the lead drops into the holes. The brass tarnishes with the heat but easily polishes up again. quick easy method Mark.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Going Army is not for me, constant maintenance of finishes does not appeal. Lets know the market reception for these mate. Is it with fellow gun enthusiasts etc. I use a two drills made for drilling brass when I use bullets ,they cut the step necessary and the through hole easily and well. Look forward to seeing the finished pens.

Peter.

fortress

Registered
First Name
John
Best of luck with that Mark, you seem to know what your doing. It's not a street I'd like to go down. :thumbs::thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).