• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

New start

Allan

Apprentice Member
First Name
Allan
Hello there
I live in the highlands of Scotland.
I'm Looking to try and make a couple of turned pens for friends and family,have a good understanding of crafts as I make horn / wood/ stag horn type walking sticks and can make trout flys,grand father taught me the general starting points in that pastime .
What I'm looking out for is anyone who will point me in the right direction of what I need (basics) to make say 5/6 pens,do I need to spend a fortune on jigs/ mandrels ?
Willing to swap stag horn if it helps anyone

Allan

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
You don't need any jigs or mandrels you can turn the pen blanks between centres and as long as you keep track of the diameter as you turn you will be okay. It's probably the best way to turn or rather more accurate. You certainly don't need to buy lots of tools unless you want to.

Apart from the kits all you will need is a dead centre, a live centre and a turning tool, if you are skilled with a skew then that's the one I would choose otherwise you would probably be better off with a roughing gouge, but you will also need the means to sharpen it. You will also need drill bits to suit the pen kits you use.

Peter

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
If you look in the Seller Forums below you will find 4 suppliers who sell pen kits, some of them offer a Forum discount so have a read.

Peter

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
Hi Allan

Welcome to the forum. Whereabouts are you in the Highlands? If you're anywhere near, you're welcome to give me a shout if I can help set you on the right path.

bigbob

Graduate Member
First Name
Bob
If you are near Inverness Dave at Macgreggor Industrial supplies will help you out re kits lathe and blanks if nearer Ft William then Phil above is your man.

bigbob

Graduate Member
First Name
Bob
If you are near Inverness Dave at Macgreggor Industrial supplies will help you out re kits lathe and blanks if nearer Ft William then Phil above is your man.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Welcome Allan from the very cold Canberra go for Phil up your way or make it happen. I look forward to seeing the work you have done with the sticks etc.

Peter.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).