• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

New to Wood Turning

fortress

Registered
First Name
John
Hello and welcome Paul, that's a very nice unit you've made, I'm sure your pens will be the same quality too.

paultay23

Apprentice Member
First Name
Paul
Desk.jpg
Well i am ready for my new Lathe, which arrives Monday. Spent all day removing timber from the Timber trolley (repairing it) Then rehanding a 1950's desk i got off my brother and cutting it down in depth. Got to put the timber back and find room for my Tablesaw.

paultay23

Apprentice Member
First Name
Paul
Well it arrived, My mandrel with 5 starter pen kits has not arrived yet, so i turned a file handle to try the lathe out, my missus reckons its a £600 handle :tongue: My first turning.jpgLathe in situe.jpg

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Some handle there mate,well worth the effort so far. Wives speak truisms as well,have a habit of reminding us where our priorities actually are.At ours we have a good understanding. Also I find even our pets jump in for their share of attention when I use the forum.

Peter.

Attachments

• DSCF0002.jpg
    DSCF0002.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 16

paultay23

Apprentice Member
First Name
Paul
Thanks Peter, could i pick your brain for a second. with my midi lathe i got an 8" Toolrest, i can see the logic of purchasing the longest rest Record Power do for my lathe a 12"
But under what circumstances would i need a 4" or 6" toolrest.
if this question needs to go on another forum, please let me know
Cheers Paul

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Thanks Peter, could i pick your brain for a second. with my midi lathe i got an 8" Toolrest, i can see the logic of purchasing the longest rest Record Power do for my lathe a 12"
But under what circumstances would i need a 4" or 6" toolrest.
if this question needs to go on another forum, please let me know
Cheers Paul

The beauty of a normal pen rest is they are easy to shift along for the odd occasional need. If not give thought to making your own. I always have by cutting a piece of plate welding with a stick welder to a fitting stem. I found accidentally that 45 degrees makes a
perfect slope for me cause I can rest the chisel on it and that fatigue in use goes away. If you scroll back to my post number 6 on this thread pics 2,3&4 show the one I love for pens. Last year I gave away my two welders to a mens shed. The post and rest came from scrap at a steel merchants. It is important to have a snuggish post. Now you look up your handy mates if you are unable to make these yourself. What prompted this in the first place was I ran the dust extraction between the rails of the lathe and I needed the extra depth. For me a happy happenstance. Have fun,the desire and need to Do It Myself has pushed me into so many skills.

And yes you will always need a short 4 inch rest because you need to fit it between and up close to the pen blank(I only ever do one blank at a time).

Kind regards Peter.

paultay23

Apprentice Member
First Name
Paul
Thanks Peter, you have given me the perfect reason to have a 4" rest, i would never have thought of that...cheers
Paul

paultay23

Apprentice Member
First Name
Paul
Well, having set up my workshop to accommodate my first lathe, i have spent a few hours turning in earnest for the first time. I made one major mistake, but recovered and i produced these five slimline pens, One Walnut, One Iroko, One Tulip and a couple of resin. I have some blanks left but need to get some more pen kits and CA Glue. I am reasonable pleased with my effort, not bad for a first effort turning.My First Pens.jpg

Steve68

First Name
Steven
Hi Paul & welcome.

Quite new here myself but it's a great place to find help and information. A friendly bunch indeed.

JerseyBill

First Name
Bill
Welcome Paul. As you have seen already, some really knowledgeable and helpful people on here! Enjoy the hobby and continue to share photos! Good looking start for sure!

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).