• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

New Turner in Wensleydale

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Welcome to the forum, Bob.

Peter

bassethound

Executive Member
First Name
Ted
Hello Bob, welcome to the best Asylum in the u.k. don't worry about throwing their arms up,this lot throw everything around, you will always get good advice here if you need it, have fun mate!

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Bob sharing is never restrictive when I served my apprenticeship as a sparky the tech guys said first you learn the rules of the trade then you make your own way. Some things are absolute dont shove your fingers into a revolving anything that sort of thing you soon learn how to comfortably hold chisels etc with safety in mind.Watch out for loose sleeves, hair over your face and eyes and so on.

Enjoy your ventures Bob you will never regret the experiences IMHO.

Kind regards welcome the day. Peter.:thumbs::thumbs:

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
Morning Bob - Welcome to the nuthouse. Don't worry about doing things wrong, most of the Northerners on this forum get things wrong all the time and we Southerners still love 'em! And anyway it's a free country - you're entitled to your opinion however wrong it is ... just don't post it on Twitter or you're going up the river.

:devil::devil:

Given that you are using a metal lathe (and I'm assuming you don't have a wood chisel toolpost for it) your creative approach to turning is perfectly understandable. Looking forward to seeing what you have produced.

Paul

Fellow
Welcome Bob. Loads of helpful advice from the chaps here. Sounds like you are off to a good start. There are some interesting articles pinned on here too

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Welcome to the forum Bob, as others have said, if it works then it's right for you. You never know you could teach us all a thing or two.

Most of then on here are complete nutters so take advice carefully, the southerners are the ones to watch mainly. The ones in Aus will try there best in reminding you on every thread of there superb weather. :nonono:

Another Bob, yippee, come on in mate. Soon we'll have enough Bobs to take over:banana::banana:

I make the take over four Bob now. If I offer five Bob (half a crown in old money) will I get to take over..:devil:

Bob Ellis

Graduate Member
First Name
Bob
Thanks for the welcome, guys. I will try to post a photo or two of my work later today, but it doesn't compare with some of the beautiful pens I have already seen looking around the forum.

David: Yes, my Sherline is a metal lathe, but the nice people at Sherline did produce, as an afterthought, a tool rest for supporting woodworking chisels. I bought one of these tool rests a few weeks ago and have been very pleased with it.

I have a couple of questions I would like to ask, but I will refrain from doing so until I have looked round the site a bit more in case they have been answered already.

Twister

Registered
First Name
Steve
Welcome Bob

show us some of your work...we like pics
a couple of things
could I suggest you work thru to at 400 grit before the micromesh
180 240 320 400 and maybe even 600
I am sure that some don't bother but it helps remove the "scratches" as you go
there are many opinions on finish (including CA)

have fun and ask away

Steve

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Welcome to the forum Bob, as others have said, if it works then it's right for you. You never know you could teach us all a thing or two.

Most of then on here are complete nutters so take advice carefully, the southerners are the ones to watch mainly. The ones in Aus will try there best in reminding you on every thread of there superb weather. :nonono:

I make the take over four Bob now. If I offer five Bob (half a crown in old money) will I get to take over..:devil:

Half a Crown was 2 and 6 so let's see if you can work out what a crown was worth:thumbs:

Peter

Woody

Registered
First Name
no

Bloody great plonker I would have done a swap you could have as many 1/2 a crowns as you like for 5 bob each LOL

Bob Ellis

Graduate Member
First Name
Bob
I have posted a photo of four of my pens in a thread entitled Pens from Wensleydale (but not made from cheese!) in the Show Off Your Finished Pens/Wood Turned Items section. Comments (critical or otherwise) appreciated.

Steve: Thanks for the suggestions. I already go up to 400 grit before using the micromesh (don't have any 600 grit, but perhaps I should get some.) I have experimented with CA, but have not been as successful with it as I had hoped. Must try again.

First Name
Dan
Beautiful part of the country. We visit that area alot and stay at Gearstones Logde on the way to Ribblehead. I'm sure your pens will go down a treat with the tourists.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Enlightenment Bob looking on google I know where you live in the country yes you have arts and crafts etc not far from many members either.

Peter. Good news mate.:thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).