• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

mattkemp

First Name
matt
I'm building my new workshop currently as the garage is been converted for extra living space. But I am after advice on insulating the shed I.E what is the type of insulating to use I have ordered a 10ft x 15ft shed and making my own concrete base for it and putting damp proof membrane between the hardcore and concrete. Has anybody does this in the past? Also does anybody have any advice for things to do to make it better in the future?

Cheers

Matt

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
I had a precast concrete sectional workshop with a concrete floor for 25 years. Big mistake....:rolling:

Still have it but ripped it lot and did following...

For the floor.

I ended up putting 25mm polystyrene insulation down, 1200gauge vis queen down and then put treated chipboard floor boards down.

For the walls.

50mm polystyrene with damp proof membrane and 20mm blockboard lined.

Roof.
New 100mm joists, filled with 100mm standard roof insulation, then lined with same type block board I used for roof

Windows
Double glazed units.. Yet to put double glazing in tho..:rolling:

Now warm as toastie, just need to install the vents now and will be completely finished.

I heat it with an oil filled rad that ticks along the night before I want to go in and I can work in my tee shirt.

I have a under unit fan heater if I forget to turn radiator on and doesn't take long to warm up. Stays warm as well.

Polystyrene was purchased from B and Q.

Oh, had to re wire the whole bloody thing as well.:goesred:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Polystyrene has reservations over here buildings it was used on became hazardous in the event of fire, I like it is efficient light and easy to handle. Heavy polystyrene foam is the go under concrete for all housing here. Two friends built there houses to lock up in one week using foam filled sheeting like the method used for cool rooms. There are every kind of brackets etc for it.

Woody would have tons of advice from his construction.

Peter.

Themackay

Fellow
First Name
Alan
I Would use one of the Kingspan type insulation boards more expensive than polystyrene but much better insulation value

Bucks

Fellow
First Name
Paul
I Would use one of the Kingspan type insulation boards more expensive than polystyrene but much better insulation value

I would second the kingspan (Ecotherm, Quinntherm, Celotex) type insulation, it's got much better thermal values than polystyrene, it's what's used in the building trade all the time now & can be purchased from any builders merchants or DIY stores like B&Q & Wickes etc

Vic Perrin

Executive Member
First Name
Vic
I have a vapour barrier fitted to shed walls followed by 100mm rock wool then boarded out with 9mm ply. Snug as a bug :thumbs:

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.

I agree the kings pan is a better insulation Value, (.22) rather than the jab lite 70 (.38)

I couldnt afford going to that with all other work I did at the time.

Cockroaches Love Polystyrene doesn't take the long to eat the lot.:vangry:

Good job I haven't got any in my shed then...

Bucks

Fellow
First Name
Paul
If you decided to go for the cheaper insulation options now! It will cost more in the long run in fuel costs plus a cold & damp Workshop won't be very good for your timber! The kingspan type insulation has a built in vapour barrier, just tape the joints with foil backed tapes to keep the integrity of the vapour barrier.

Note: I'm not a professional builder so these are just my personal opinions from 20 years of building numerous extensions on our own house (looking at some so called professional builders work, I maybe should have been a builder though)

Bucks

Fellow
First Name
Paul
looking at some so called professional builders work, I maybe should have been a builder though

In fact our last extension was a 50ft garage with a bedroom & bathroom above plus rearranging the layout of the existing bedrooms & bathroom! So I decided to employ a so-called professional building company to build the main shell! They didn't even get out the ground before we had to sack them due to cowboy workmanship!!! Leaking mains gas pipe, destroyed drains, & undersized reBar! They was going to pour the foundations over the top of all this until I stopped them:vangry:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
I am glad you came through Vic with your shed construction Matt you could do well to look it up the progress was well documented and the execution sound and beautiful IMHO.

Peter.

mattkemp

First Name
matt
Thanks for the advice does anybody know what is the best sort of insulation I had some advice of a builder to say celotex is very good insulation or is kingspan better

Cheers

Matt

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Reading through and from the time to time reports it would seem that although we have extremes like a month last year of 40 degree celcius and bitter winter weather you have so many other severe weather events like rain and snow to contend with. I do not know what the weather is like in Woodies Robin Hood Country but he speaks always of comfort,ease of heating etc. Vic put lots of real thought and materials into his palace up the back and seems over the moon with his.

Peter.

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Thanks for the advice does anybody know what is the best sort of insulation I had some advice of a builder to say celotex is very good insulation or is kingspan better

Cheers

Matt

I think the reply to this will depend on what the builder or mr bodge it wants or prefers to use.

If you look up the spec of Celotex and the insulation values against the king span you will probably be able to answer that yourself Matt.

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
If you decided to go for the cheaper insulation options now! It will cost more in the long run in fuel costs plus a cold & damp Workshop won't be very good for your timber!

I agree, however when running the workshop each week I don't look at how much more it's cost me this week as I class that as "running costs" bear in mind I have come from "zero insulation" so anything is better than not being able to use the workshop at all in the winter months.. Even with a 2kw heater it was unworkable in there.:sob:

However I now won't be able to sleep at night knowing just how much I could have saved if I had put the king span in..:face:

I know where you are coming from Paul, but at the time for me it was jab floor or nothing, so that's what it had..

If it's costing me an extra £1 or £2 per week then that's what it will be, simple.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).