• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Newbie and Mandrel Sizes - Advice Please

sulla

Apprentice Member
First Name
Ken
I'm new to penturning. I bought an Evolution mandrel and a basic 7mm pen kit from Turners Retreat for my DML320. I'm quite pleased with the result but turning to a consistent diameter can test the skills!
The issue is this, I then purchased a Slimline Twist Pen kit from Axminster with the required bushings. Out of the three bushings only one slid on to the mandrel; the other two need some fettling/broaching/filing (depending on your upbringing) to fit. Not a great amount but significant.
Is this usual?

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
It's not the first time.... I bought a mandrel years ago and it's baggy in my Axminster saver..... There can be slight discrepancies

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
Hello Ken - welcome to the forum

Unfortunately, there is no standard for the diameter of a mandrel shaft, and no standard for the hole through the middle of bushes. It's a subject that gets me on my soapbox not infrequently.

It would be nice to think though that the hole would be consistent throughout a set of bushes! We can put astronauts on the moon, so surely it can't be beyond the wit of man to bore the same size hole through 3 pieces of metal.

sulla

Apprentice Member
First Name
Ken
Thanks; It's as I thought.
My fear was I had somehow bought a 'non standard' make of mandrel.

I shall sharpen the files and turn on!

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).