• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

No Idea What this is for.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
I rang Carba Tec in Brisbane (free call 1800) they need more info so I took pics just now any knowledge would help, not even sure if Carba-Tec had agents in the UK?

Peter.

Attachments

• DSCF7568.JPG
    DSCF7568.JPG
    21.8 KB · Views: 55
  • DSCF7570.JPG
    DSCF7570.JPG
    22.4 KB · Views: 55
  • DSCF7572.JPG
    DSCF7572.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 56

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Here are some old awl's I use one from the same kit they are meant to be used instead of a pencil to get a more precise mark
DSCF3873.JPGDSCF3874.JPG

Scots Bill

Registered
First Name
Bill
I have one my dad made out of a dart, with a lignum vitae knob handle, bradawl, in Scotland we would call it a broge or brogue. I also have various ones.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Here are some old awl's I use one from the same kit they are meant to be used instead of a pencil to get a more precise mark
View attachment 28993View attachment 28994

Woody, many thanks the brass tube when I removed it from the steel revealed the long tapered scratch end One of the small short threaded pieces threads into the heavy ball and the other one into after thethe gold nib shaped piece the other side of the handle. It all makes perfect sense. The blunt end small thread had me puzzled I never noticed the inset thread in the ball to receive the rod.

Many thanks for unravelling the mystery when you see the finished article it comes together. Sure elaborate.

I will make it up I have some plastic (horror will suit this). I can use the brass tube to fit the mandrel perhaps glued into the handle.

Bit of fun actually they discontinued these many years ago. I will have to keep it in the workshop its like an ice pick both suitable (the butler did it for Midsomer Mysteries). I will give my Awl to the task.

Peter.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).