• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

No Tortoises where harmed in the making of this Tempest

billyb_imp

Registered
First Name
Billy
Another from today a gold Tempest dressed in what is suppose to be an alternative Tortoise Shell, very difficult to see the effect, this may be because I painted the tubes black, I will try another one & either leave unpainted or paint them gold (anyone else have this problem with this particular blank).

I don't think I can market this one as Tortoise Shell, back to the drawing board :thinks::thinks:

IMG_1261 600 x 600.jpgIMG_1265 600 x 600.jpg

clement

Graduate Member
First Name
Clement
Nice pen Billy, as allways good finish :thumbs:

Once i've tryed alternative horn, was'nt satisfied with the final look
006.jpg

AllenN

Fellow
First Name
Allen
Nice pen whatever one calls it, but I can see your point. Real tortoiseshell does seem to have a glow to it, you may be right that leaving the tubes brass might have helped but I guess there is only one way to find that out.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Grateful for the discussion of artificial effects in the case of the black still a good result in the instance Clement showed, not good at all. Helpful posting.

Peter.

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
Shame to judge it for what it isn't Billy. Better to judge it for what it is, which from your photos appears to be a nicely turned pen with a great contrast of dark and gold. It looks good.

Scots Bill

Registered
First Name
Bill
Great pen Billy, what about a fawn type colour tubes, perhaps get an offcut of the blank, polished up and try it against different colours. :thinks:

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark
Great looking pen Billy.:thumbs::thumbs:

If its any thing like the Tortoise Shell blank I turned DO NOT leave the blank unpainted my was extremely see through.:rant:
If I think about it when I get home I will post a pic for you.

Finally got the pics uploaded and around to posting them.

Why they should be painted.:rant:
Excuse my experiment using a dremel and my new tail stock and the item that no one was curious about.:devil:

Definitely got to paint them.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).