• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Nut & Bolt Sizes.

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark
What are the most common Nut & Bolt sizes in both metric and imperial?
I have been trying to sort out my lifetime collection of Nut & Bolts, about 6 x 4 Lts container full, I keep finding these strange sizes, for me any way, like 9.5 mm, 6.75 mm, etc that will not match up with any of my thread gauges.:doh::scratch_head:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Look up the net and get a chart of sizes and threads, besides Imperial and Metric there are other systems.Have a look on Engineering forums.

Peter.

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
Life is too short Mark!

I have hundreds and only keep the common ones separated, all the rest in containers roughly by size, small, medium, large and if I want something out of the ordinary or to repair an existing I just empty a container on to a large tray. I've never failed to find what I want yet which is my argument to the missus for keeping all these "treasures" which she would happily throw in the bin. :ciggrin:

hawkeyefxr

First Name
ken
Metric are 4,5,6,8,10,12,14 and on. These are the sizes of the thread not spanner sizes.
When you say imperial it gets worse as the is BSW, BSF and what the Americans use AF in course and fine. The AF is the spanner size for American threads, the BS ones are a big vauge as well as i have not used then in donkeys years.
If you PM me you email address i will send you a copy of Zeus a small engineering book that will give you all sizes of all threads.
There is also a very good app called Machine Screws Drill/Tap info, i can send that as well. It's an Android app but not sure if there is an Iphone version.

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark
Metric are 4,5,6,8,10,12,14 and on. These are the sizes of the thread not spanner sizes.
When you say imperial it gets worse as the is BSW, BSF and what the Americans use AF in course and fine. The AF is the spanner size for American threads, the BS ones are a big vauge as well as i have not used then in donkeys years.
If you PM me you email address i will send you a copy of Zeus a small engineering book that will give you all sizes of all threads.
There is also a very good app called Machine Screws Drill/Tap info, i can send that as well. It's an Android app but not sure if there is an Iphone version.

Thanks, PM on the way.:thumbs:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Look for a copy any year of the compleat book, Machinery,s Handbook my copy of 1815 pages of facts and detail is definitive. The copies lurk on the net and second hand sales around the world.

Peter.

hawkeyefxr

First Name
ken
Look for a copy any year of the compleat book, Machinery,s Handbook my copy of 1815 pages of facts and detail is definitive. The copies lurk on the net and second hand sales around the world.

Peter.

The engineers bible, I always wanted one of these but never could afford it. Now I can afford it I don't need it, ho hum

khand

Apprentice Member
First Name
kevin
Google bolt size chart and go to images. Should be able to find what you need there.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).