• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Oak burr pen

Chriscb

First Name
Chris
Afternoon all,
Received a package a few months ago from a timber merchant stuffed full of Oak Bur slabs. After a session on the band saw I turned a few into bowls et al, put a lot into storage and prepped some long pen blanks. At last they're finally dry enough to turn into pens.

Wood sanded to 240, application of Yorkshire Grit and polished on wheel. Didn't want a high gloss, just some protection from handling.

Thoughts.

Open - 153 mm
Closed - 148 mm
Step about 1mm
Bock #6, 18kt gold and titanium nibs

Thanks.
Chriscb
800 KP_oak bur _0000_Layer 9.jpg800 KP_oak bur _0001_Layer 8.jpg800 KP_oak bur _0005_Layer 6.jpg800 KP_oak bur _0007_Layer 2.jpg

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
Now that's rather smart, beautiful job on the turning and a great choice with the finish, personally I like the titanium nib! :drool::drool:

Chriscb

First Name
Chris
Thank you - I wanted to step away from the super shiny combination of mirror finish on the Oak and a Gold nib, I think the subdued, matt tones of Titanium go well with the Oak.

Chriscb

Hubert

First Name
Hubert
Afternoon all,
Received a package a few months ago from a timber merchant stuffed full of Oak Bur slabs. After a session on the band saw I turned a few into bowls et al, put a lot into storage and prepped some long pen blanks. At last they're finally dry enough to turn into pens.

Wood sanded to 240, application of Yorkshire Grit and polished on wheel. Didn't want a high gloss, just some protection from handling.

Thoughts.

Open - 153 mm
Closed - 148 mm
Step about 1mm
Bock #6, 18kt gold and titanium nibs

Thanks.
Chriscb
View attachment 50491View attachment 50492View attachment 50493View attachment 50494
NICE, NICE, AND MORE NICE!