• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Oh heck I've been sectioned

trapper

Registered
In terms of the threads....... what was once good enough still is so standard metric threads are fine but need to be threded longer than tripple starts also the "o" ring concept has been done and appears to work just trail and error to get the right sizes. Also there are now some magnetic cap kits on sale so you could use that approach. Getting male and female magnets in the form of a ring can be done so for example you could use a plated ring magnet as a center band geting the right size is the problem. I have the addresses of companies that will manufacture to specs but minimum orders apply. you could also try the magnets used in small box closure and jewellery items.

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
Good point about the magnets, I can see that working very well and easily and why would two be required.
One would suffice with a piece of steel being attracted to it and no threads required either.
I can feel a play coming on.:bwink:

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark
Sorry, bad math there! Don't try figuring things out while chasing a toddler with an open bottle of talcum powder! :shocking::shocking:

The section thread is usually an M8, and the threads don't have any effect on the calcs because they go the other way (am I talking sense?) so the result is the same.

Perhaps I should put the iPad down for a while and vacuum up talc powder instead ... :goesred:

:funny::funny::funny::funny:

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
Thanks for the pointers and the maths but I will be using what is at hand or can be begged / borrowed.
I will certainly not be investing in any triple or Quad threading tools.
Nor a metal turning lathe.
The whole experiment is a suck it and see exercise.
However if it is such a raving success as my bling pens are :nonono::nonono::nonono:
I may progress to bigger better faster more. :ave_it:
The information above will certainly be useful to anyone else who may wish to pursue this avenue.

Tight a-se !!!:funny::funny:

trapper

Registered
either way would work but the jewellry magnets as used for example in necklace chains happen to be male and female........velcro of the correct type might do as well but cant remember the spec for it......... its not the usual sewing stuff and has been used to secure such as emergency grab bags etc to vehicles

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
magnets as used for example in necklace chains happen to be male and female.
The laws of magnetism sir, North and South poles I shall save any further embarrassment by leaving it at that.

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
Lost my way here

There is a thread somewhere in which we were debating kit-less / threaded pens caps etc magnets were mentioned and my interest was aroused.
Do you think I can find it? I cannot!
With no idea of what or how I was going to do anything I asked a maintenance guy at work for any spare bits he might have, soft metal rod, magnets, small bits of steel to attract to the magnets etc.
He came up with a small selection of screws nuts bolts and washers from his toolbox, walked to a window and tore down a venetian blind he was going to change and gave me the ally rod that turns the blinds in and out.
It was 9.5mm x about 4 ft with a coating on it powder coat I think.
I still had no idea of what or how but took it home with me and cut a pen sized length without measuring it drilled a hole through it and inserted a refill from a slimline kit, snug fit indeed.
Now I need some steel to attract a magnet I still don't have but do intend to source, one of these grub screws will do the job with a hole drilled through it, m5 thread tapped in bar grub screw drilled and fitted.
Tapped a thread in the top end and fitted a grub screw in there too, that takes up any slack in the refill, may not necessarily look the part but I have a perfectly functional pen of a fashion.
Now I need a roof for this thing I am constructing, cut a lid sized piece of bar drill and tap it each end m5 again and screw it on, to my absolute amazement I can see how I am going to make it fit.
Strip it all down and put it back on the lathe, make it a bit thinner here and make the hole a bit bigger there, strip the coating off, buff it up and voila a pen fit for the maintenance man tomorrow.
OK so it's not perfect, it needs improvement but the basis is there and it works I think I can do better next time with the right components in my kit I can work on this theory.
What do you think of it? I am ready for the harshest of criticism don't hold back be honest. Oh and my mate don't know yet but he donated the o-ring from his fishing tackle box.
P1070421.resized.JPG
P1070401.resized.JPG
P1070414.resized.JPG
P1070404.resized.JPG

Jim

Grand Master
Try here George Click me

You know i actually like this pen George, you and Steve (trapper) ought to get together ... :thumbs:

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
That's it Jim many thanks. Just as well start another, I had taken enough of his thread off topic.
Any way to link it there as it is relevant to the conversation?
The next one should and will be magnetic as the thread in aluminum is wearing already.
Maybe try a plastic with a magnet and steel liner or similar.
This was all done on my wood turning lathe using the carbide tool for metal, and it does get tough on the steel.

trapper

Registered
Hi George now thats nice:thumbs::thumbs:.Let me know more detail if you like and I'll try to develop some parts........ pm me with contact details
Regards
Steve

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
Steve I am so sorry to detract away from your original post which we must remind ourselves of.
I think the idea is a stunner as I am already finding that I don't like a lot of the kits I have so far purchased.
Maybe its me but I have had a few brass tubes bend on me whilst fitting as they are so thin flimsy and fragile.
Hence am building up a spare parts box and wasting money,. the plating is inferior on many kits.
I suppose you get what you pay for, so far I tend to favour the Gents and the Roman Harvest.
A local built good quality kit is a fantastic idea and to be able to design ones own pen around a good mechanism pretty much unique.
I believe kitless is a way I would like to progress as from what I have seen here and other sites anyone can sling a kit together, bloody hell if I can i know it has to be foolproof.
So please continue your good work and lets see what you make with the ones you have shown us here.

Here is a pic of atrio of front nib/grip sections I've turned up on my metal lathe. These are from the Tutorial I'm writing up on the subject. These are all turned in 6082 aluminium and then mirror polished at 1000rpm on the lathe with rag wheels and polish sticks;
full story and how to soon when I've finished the subject pens to put them in context.They are all set up for cross style mechanisms

If anyone is thinking of getting into "kitless pens" I do advice trying something like this first. It is alot cheaper and tooling requirements are not great.......... my triple start thread tap and dies cost well over £180.00 in all.

003.JPG

trapper

Registered
Okies.......... Thought for magnets go to 99p store by twin pack of strip magnets cut to size with a craft knife........ I'm trying it later let you know How i get along:thinks:

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
George I'm blown away by that home-made pen! Too many of us get bogged down by complexity and convince ourselves we can't do it without this, that or the next thing. You JFDI. Respect!

And yes, I can see how it's not perfect but I can also see how you've made a fantastic start to a journey most of us are still just thinking about. Well done, mate!

:claps::bravo:

Pete B

Registered
Hi,
i ve just read this thread and very interesting it is too. Nice pen and concept.
Re Schmidt nibs and sections and everything else Schmidt, Ian Jeffrey, a nice bloke who runs Studio pens and Schmidt pen refils is the sole UK distributor for Schmidt and i know he is presently cataloging lots and lots of components. He might even be going to start to sell the taps as well, but i'm not sure about that.
If there was enough interest on here i could with Jim's permission, approach him for a possible forum discount on Scmidt stuff. I'm thinking ahead but if he agreed he might put a £150 minimum order like the wholesale sales but we would have to see.
The thread size for the smaller 5mm Schmidt feeds is 6.5 x 0.5mm, i don't use them much as i think and so do people much more knowledgeable than me think that German Jowo are better, and also better than Bock. I do sell Jowo nibs and units though to be fair. Jowo 5mm feed units are the same thread size as Schmidt. Schmidt don't manufacture i am told their own nibs etc they are just a distributor.
having said that i think Schmidt refils and piston fillers are very good, as are some of their other stuff.
I agree with whats been said about triple start threads, triple start taps and dies are serious money and alignment is a problem on any blank with a pattern or grain etc. Normal ones even non standard aren't though, well they are here but not in the USA for now anyway.
Tracy tools i have used and are very good and cheap and for custom taps although more expensive they would bring the price right down if 6 or 12 or more were ordered specially. Tapco in America are even cheaper and i think even after import duties etc.

If anyone is interested good sources for parts are all USA based i'm afraid, but good stocks though:

indy pen dance

Mr Greenwald as mentioned

Silver pen parts expensive but seems like very good components.

Golden nib

Richard Binder real oracle from a Fountain pen expert and a very good site especially the reference pages.

Regards

Pete

trapper

Registered
Hi Pete.
Totally agree with you a group buy like done with Timberbits (discount deal) would be great if Jim agrees. I can only say I am a great fan of Schmidt parts and indeed of Richard Greenwald a most helpfull chap as indeed are all of those you mentioned. Prolem being the carriage and or import duties (Robin B******, the Sherriff of Westminster) for any sensible order

Jim

Grand Master
Guys i have no issues with trying to do the best for each other, by all means please go ahead ... If we can save a few bob on pen materials, kits etc i am with you all the way ... :thumbs:

trapper

Registered
Ok Guys, if enough people are interested I'll put something together.......... I also now have contacts with a manufacturer in China..... the minimum order is £1000.00 but paid in US$ much below this it's just not financially viable . The Company will ship individual pen kits but add the transport costs etc a slimline style kit works out at about £100.00!!!!! I'd suggest that this connection be used for "Hi Line" kits and components including their limited production kits.

Well let me know and I'll try and get something organized.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).