• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Old Hand - New to the Forum

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
It's about time you came out....

welcome aboard Rod, sure we will re kindle some of the old banter and spirit:devil:.

You may have noticed a few of the "old names" are still around and making a nuisance of them selves..:funny:

They are just older, dafter and more senile than before..:rolling:

Glad to see you are back. Look forward to your contribution again.

RodN

First Name
Rod
Welcome to the forums Ron, you have a very nice pad from where you work my friend .. Thanks for showing those well made items to Ron .. :thumbs:

Thanks for the welcome.
And erm... by the way.... the name is ROD :biggrin:

Oh yes.... and looking back in the achives, I see that we have a potential wager to satisfy :pounds:
D'ya feel lucky?
http://www.penturners.co.uk/off-topic-forum/409-pens-forest.html#post2804

If you have more then please add them in the appropriate forum so they do not get lost in the welcome thread .. :bwink:

Sure... will do.

Cheers
Rod

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
Looks like a hard life you have there, Rod. Spent many a happy hour on your website, it's good finally 'meet' you! I hope you will carry on the tradition of Southerners being sane and sober - the Northerners are all barking ...

:devil:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Hi Rod, a formidable collection of stuff you've made there, lovely... your workshop is as tidy as Woodys, do you buy the items in :funny:

Neil Lawton

Longlocks
Fellow
First Name
Neil
Looks like a hard life you have there, Rod. Spent many a happy hour on your website, it's good finally 'meet' you! I hope you will carry on the tradition of Southerners being sane and sober - the Northerners are all barking ...

Woof!:funny:

Welcome Rod. Are you a celebrity or a Psychiatric / Geriatric nurse?
I only ask as it seems the pensioners and the loonies are the ones who seem to know you?:devil::funny::funny:

RodN

First Name
Rod

Oh dear!
I hate to have to tell you this.... but I was born and bred for enough North to call a spade a spade. Except when you tread on it.:tongue:

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Hello and welcome Rod. The name seems familiar but then I spend quite a bit of time around a lot of woodwroking and other pen turning forums in the past right through to the present.

Not all of on here are mad but it helps.:face::face::face::banana::banana::banana:

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark
G'day Rod,
Welcome to the forum from the sunny centre of Aust.

That means Penpal and my self are the only two sane ones here.:iknow::tongue:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Hi Rod Peter here curious of the make of your metal lathe i have 1965 Hercus looks like that also heavily modded my PenWizad I am not impressed by the feed and quality time needed etc shoved mine in a box.You stimulated my interest in shavng brushes will have to go on a badger hunt myself I really like much of your prodution you have show looking forward to you cuurrent work and contributions. Welcome from over here Kind regards Peter.:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

RodN

First Name
Rod
Hi Rod Peter here curious of the make of your metal lathe i have 1965 Hercus looks like that also heavily modded my PenWizad I am not impressed by the feed and quality time needed etc shoved mine in a box.You stimulated my interest in shavng brushes will have to go on a badger hunt myself I really like much of your prodution you have show looking forward to you cuurrent work and contributions. Welcome from over here Kind regards Peter.

Hi Peter.
The metal work lathe is an old Myford ML7. It is an extremely sound lathe, but I am seriously thinking of replacing it with a modern machine.
ws12-05.jpg

And yes, I modded my Pen Wizard too. The little plastic arrangement for a depth stop (on the newer versions like mine) just isn't reliable enough in use, and as you say, the time spent setting up and actually doing the cutting is way out of proportion to the time taken to make the pen. I could probably make three or more pens instead of one with the fancy patterns using the Pen Wizard.

Cheers
Rod

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
Hi Peter.
The metal work lathe is an old Myford ML7. It is an extremely sound lathe, but I am seriously thinking of replacing it with a modern machine.
ws12-05.jpg

And yes, I modded my Pen Wizard too. The little plastic arrangement for a depth stop (on the newer versions like mine) just isn't reliable enough in use, and as you say, the time spent setting up and actually doing the cutting is way out of proportion to the time taken to make the pen. I could probably make three or more pens instead of one with the fancy patterns using the Pen Wizard.

Cheers
Rod
What modern metal lathe are you looking at?

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Morning Rod just size and modernity your impending choice looks good. But the lathe you have looks immaculite to me. A pic of my Hercus so you will see from a distance likenesses.

Thanks for showing mate.

Peter.:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Attachments

• Hercus and Dremel 6-27-2008 11-46-42 AM 899x750.jpg
    Hercus and Dremel 6-27-2008 11-46-42 AM 899x750.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 10
Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).