• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Old newbie from Lincoln

billyb_imp

Registered
First Name
Billy
Well, I had a great day at T/R on my pen turning course my first go on a lathe for about 45 years, very happy with the results, just need to get my workshop set up now with new bench and lathe in place to put what i've learnt into practice and practice, practice, practice........

Really feel like i've achieved something, even my wife Margaret like what I brought home, so that helps in keeping her on side.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Well done Bill pleased you enjoyed yourself now hurry up and get a lathe set up before you forget what you have learned LOL looking forward to some photos of your pen

billyb_imp

Registered
First Name
Billy
Well done Bill pleased you enjoyed yourself now hurry up and get a lathe set up before you forget what you have learned LOL looking forward to some photos of your pen

Woody, hopefully I will get the workbench built, lathe in place and other required items in place over the weekend (as long has work doesn't get in the way), need longer weekends and more holidays

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I am glad you enjoyed your lesson. All you need now is a lesson from a real turner and he doesn't live far from you. Woody you are wanted !!!!!!:thumbs:

Yes I see the poster on the lamp post mind not a very big reward LOL

billyb_imp

Registered
First Name
Billy
I am glad you enjoyed your lesson. All you need now is a lesson from a real turner and he doesn't live far from you. Woody you are wanted !!!!!!:thumbs:

I hope to get chance to have a quick chat with that very man at the show next Saturday and see what can be arranged

billyb_imp

Registered
First Name
Billy

My First Pens (albeit with tutor close by)

Not sure where these photos should go on the forum so I will put them here as I am still a newbie.

Only three of us on the course yesterday so a great tutor pupil ratio, with Keith the tutor sharing his time amongst us. We each made 3 pens, mine are shown in the photo below.

The one on the left is the first I made, keith started me off as i wasnt that sure which way round you should hold the tool but he soon passed it to me and I was off, although Keith was always about to give me instruction on how I was standing, movement of my body (rather than hands) and a different approach when getting close to required finish prior to sanding / finishing.

These second one (middle) the turning went really well, the putting together was a disaster I managed to crush one of the brass tubes inserting the first part, so I had only half a pen by the time I had put the bottom part together. So another half blank was turned, resulting in the pen in the photo which is actually made from 2 separate blanks, thanks for your patience Keith.

And then on to the acrylic which I really enjoyed doing, at the start all was well, no problem at all getting the parts next to the 4 bushings done, I struggled a bit with each middle part of the blank, difficult to get a straight line but a good bit more tutoring and explaining from Keith resulted in the end product.

My own lathe as arrived today, so will get workbench built over the weekend and hopefully be able to practice on my own lathe some time on Sunday.

For a first attempt I am very happy with them, much better than I had imagined they would be

First 3 pens made at Turners Retreat 800 x 600.jpg

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Well Bill they are amazing for your first pens a lot of people would be happy with them after a year of turning well done

Jim

Grand Master
Three very nice pens indeed Bill, it won't be long before you have your own style my friend .. :bwink:

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Great pens Bill, :thumbs::thumbs: Keith is a top bloke even if he mumbles sometimes :bwink: looks like you had a good day :up::up:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).