• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Ooooh look. New lathe!

Bammer

Fellow
First Name
Brad
Snap, that's what I treated myself to this year.

Only thing I don't like is the motor under the bed, means I have to clean up every day

21William

Fellow
First Name
William
The only real downside of the AT1416VS is the cost. The bed extension is a bit expensive as well. I don't need the full length of the standard extension but another 200mm would be handy when making things like tool handles. I have seen a home made mini lathe extension somewhere on the net that was fitted with angle iron with the rest of it made of timber. I'm sure something like this would do for occasional use.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
In fairness to Jet, I think it is only the 1015VS that has had the problem. Other models seem fine as far as I'm aware. I know that Petrol Pete bought a Jet 1221VS at a similar time to my Jet purchase, and he has been extremely pleased with his choice.

My universal complaint with all these small lathes though, seemingly irrespective of the make, is the horrible tools rests they supply with them. Why is it that manufacturers think that a 6 inch tool rest which is rough cast exactly where you put your index finger, is a suitable inclusion? The roughness is a deliberate feature which serves only to make your finger sore after 3 or 4 hours of parallel turning, and it wouldn't cost any more or less to cast it smooth. Nor would it cost a great deal more to make it 9 inches long, which might then be useful to anyone who wants to turn the full length of a pen mandrel. I know the answer to the second question - so we all go out a buy a longer tool rest, but even then, they are either round or still rough. Come on lathe manufacturers and accessory manufacturers. Start designing your tools rests for woodturners, not for accountants.

A valid question arises what is the preferred shape ,length of a pen rest for you? Mine is a simple platform set at 45 degrees made of steel, the shape etc came about from running the vac through the lathe and the need to reach the blank but it has become my favourite. I make my own rests so making and changing to me is simple.The pic attached taken while I was installing the VL150 back a while.

Peter.

Attachments

• DSCF0006.JPG
    DSCF0006.JPG
    105.4 KB · Views: 39

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
This configuration for the Vac was first in the year 2000, many versions since.

Peter.

Attachments

• Test Photos with Digital Camera 017 [640x480].jpg
    Test Photos with Digital Camera 017 [640x480].jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 36

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
A valid question arises what is the preferred shape ,length of a pen rest for you?
Time is money for me Peter. I always have one eye on the clock when I'm turning because its a goodly part of what puts the food on the table in my house. Two tubes on the mandrel are better than one, and you cant accurately turn two at once a) with a poor mandrel, b) with poor bushes or c) with a 6 inch tool rest without moving the banjo.

The tool rest in my photo at the beginning of this thread is 12 inches long, but for pens, 9 inches would do.

GSteer

Registered
First Name
Greg
Time is money for me Peter. I always have one eye on the clock when I'm turning because its a goodly part of what puts the food on the table in my house. Two tubes on the mandrel are better than one, and you cant accurately turn two at once a) with a poor mandrel, b) with poor bushes or c) with a 6 inch tool rest without moving the banjo.

The tool rest in my photo at the beginning of this thread is 12 inches long, but for pens, 9 inches would do.

A question of interest only then Phil.

Do you turn and sell Mistrals/Tempests yourself? If so then single barrel TBC or double on a mandrel? (or some other magical concoction?)

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
A question of interest only then Phil.

Do you turn and sell Mistrals/Tempests yourself? If so then single barrel TBC or double on a mandrel? (or some other magical concoction?)
Double barrel on a mandrel, but both the Mistral and the Tempest bushes are very accurate and so is my mandrel.

Bucks

Fellow
First Name
Paul
I've also got a Jet 1015VS I purchased from Snainton woodworking centre, which the motor is reving up & down all the time! I've just emailed Axminster who I understand are the importers to see what they have to say.

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
That is what i call a Billy Fury lathe..............Jealousy :winking:
You could have picked "Halfway to Paradise" too.

I've also got a Jet 1015VS I purchased from Snainton woodworking centre, which the motor is reving up & down all the time! I've just emailed Axminster who I understand are the importers to see what they have to say.
I would contact Snainton too Paul. At the end of the day it's them who will need to give you your money back, and despite Axminster's/Brimarc's inevitable offer to send you some brushes, believe me you will want your money back, not the brushes - they make things worse, not better.

Bucks

Fellow
First Name
Paul
I'd just come of the phone to Snainton when the notification for your reply came through lol, I've had the brushes & I agree it seemed to have made matters worse, Snainton are contacting brimarc for me.

Bucks

Fellow
First Name
Paul
Axminster have just phoned me! They are sending a new PCB as they say that's the problem with the machine reving up & down!

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
Are you going to charge them labour to change the PCB Paul? That's what I offered to do, which seemed to focus their mind a little:devil:

Bucks

Fellow
First Name
Paul
Well I received the Replacement PCB already, don't know how long it will be on my bench now until I find time to fit it though!

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).