• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Overworked my Bandsaw

Jim

Grand Master
Don't know if its the quick change one or not David, but it don't take long to change one!!! It has the tension release on the back, if that is the quick change??? :thinks:

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
Don't know if its the quick change one or not David, but it don't take long to change one!!! It has the tension release on the back, if that is the quick change??? :thinks:

Yeah, that's it - miserable gits took it off the economy model so I have to unwind the tension and rewind every time ...

:down:

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
Thanks, What width blade do you have, I have 17" BS and wondered what the smallest width blade I can use?
At the moment I have a 3 tpi - 1/2" wide blade on it.

Mark, I don't think you're limited in terms of how narrow a blade you can use (narrow meaning measurement from front to back as the wood travels). Broadly speaking, the more teeth on the blade the better the finish the blade leaves on the wood, the narrower the blade the easier it is to cut curves and patterns on the BS. If all you're looking for is a better finish stick with a 1/2" blade and go for more TPI. If you're after doing serpentine cuts in pen blanks (or that sort of thing)you'll need to go a lot narrower. I use a 1/8" blade with 14TPI for that type of cut.

Narrower blades have to be under reduced tension, so the narrower you to the easier its going to be to go out of square with a cut. Hence why when resawing I use a 19" blade - the widest my BS will take and one that is operated under maximum tension. That way I can resaw an 8" thick piece of hardwood and have a perfectly straight cut.

Jim

Grand Master
Bang on David, when i am slicing Corian for segmenting i need a very fine finish, hence the high TPI i use for these cuts, i also use the same theory hen segmenting wood. The other day i needed to cut from a 2" blocks but all i had was the 24TPI blade .. I use a 1/8 with high ...ish tpi when trying to use the bandsaw as a scroll saw .. some times it works and sometimes it doesn't, it all depends on how intricate the curves are .. :thumbs:

Jim

Grand Master
Funnily enough Keith, i have just placed a new thread about this ... Great minds and all that ... :ciggrin:

Tuff Saw Blades ...

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark
I use a 1/8 with high ...ish tpi when trying to use the bandsaw as a scroll saw .. some times it works and sometimes it doesn't, it all depends on how intricate the curves are .. :thumbs:

I will try one of these 1/8 tpi next order, I just finished making a toy for my nephew, the wood was two thick for a scroll saw.

wheres the photo :rolling::rolling::rolling:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).