• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Painting brass tubes

hawkeyefxr

First Name
ken
I have seen posts where some of you have talked about painting the brass tubes. I started to make a slimline with a really nice blank, my problem came when i reached the final size of the blank, it had become almost translucent and you could see the brass tube. Well that one is a bust now.

So, what colour do you paint them, white or black or even a colour near to the blanks colour. What paint do you use, does the gluing procedure damage the paint as you slide it in the blank.

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
I paint inside the tubes and also reverse paint the blank after drilling as well.

It all depends on the blank what colour, if it's a very light one then something close to blank colour. If not then either black or silver.

Hope that helps.

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
What Eamonn said pretty much covers it except to add that the colour you use can affect the final appearance of the blank quite significantly. By using different colours you can achieve quite different results so it is worth experimenting to get the result you like.

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Thanks Walter, very valid point.

Sorry Ken,

Just realised not all your questions was answered..

I use Acrylic paints, usually the artist type paints that you can mix together and get the colour you want or just use a standard colour. You can usually get them quite cheap from the likes of B&M or the likes of pound land" Aldi did a selection a short while ago that was quite good.

I usually paint the inside of the blanks and the tubes the day before gluing up, give the paint time to dry. After drilling the blank I will also check to see how loose the tube is, if it's a little too snug I have drilled it out a little larger just to enable the paint coat thickness to avoid damaging the paint on the way in.

If you use Epoxy glue you can mix a very small amount of colour to the glue as well just in case you scratch the reverse paint off in the way in.

Some turners use car paint acrylics and spray them, they work well but I don't like the smell or the conditions it creates so keep away from them. Nail varnish is also good, but be careful with that one as her in doors might have something to say about that.

Permanent marker pens are another good one that has been used with good results.

Whatever you use and try, remember if it doesn't work then you may as well not bothered and wasted your time doing it as it will end up in the bin. So once you find a way it works stick to it, that is what everyone on here will do.

They all have their own preference. Look forward to seeing which ones you try and let us know what success you have.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Strong light and a sample colour inserted will give you an idea before you commit. If you do many of any one kit colour several dowels, slip them in and see for yourself. Watch the women in the shops selecting lipstick mate, first class way to be sure what suits one surely wrong for someone else. When you crack the code of good, better, best in your humble opinion run with it. If you go over Jim in Americas entries he discusses in depth how he goes about it.

to me it is worth the erffort.

Peter.

Bammer

Fellow
First Name
Brad
I paint inside the tubes and also reverse paint the blank after drilling as well.

It all depends on the blank what colour, if it's a very light one then something close to blank colour. If not then either black or silver.

Hope that helps.

I never paint the inside of the tubes :funny: But I do paint inside the blank :wink:

hawkeyefxr

First Name
ken
A good set of replies in my opinion, i like the idea of the strong light and dowels to see what happens. I did use a light actually but never thought it would go to near see through. I may well use a black sharpie on the darker ones to give more depth.
As you say trial and error.

One small thing i failed to mention, i am colour blind , it's true, honest guv.

I do see colours but not as you do, i dont see everything on monochrome.

Scots Bill

Registered
First Name
Bill
Aye Ken, although I should know better, and I actually got my acrylic paints out for that very purpose, I forgot to paint the tubes with the same end result as you, drat! The others have spelled it out perfectly for you.

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.

Hope that helps.

I never paint the inside of the tubes :funny: But I do paint inside the blank :wink:

Doh!... :funny::funny::funny:

hawkeyefxr

First Name
ken
Aye Ken, although I should know better, and I actually got my acrylic paints out for that very purpose, I forgot to paint the tubes with the same end result as you, drat! The others have spelled it out perfectly for you.

think thats called a grrrr moment, i have had a few of those lol

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).