• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Pair of Mistrals in Honey Noir

GSteer

Registered
First Name
Greg
Time to step over that silly edge and finally post something I've made. Still chasing scratches and spending what I feel is far too long on the finishing process but learning a lot!

I'm happy with these two. A pair of Mistrals in GPS Honey Noir Acrylic, cap bands of the same material, black Ti. cap finials - not skilled enough or rigged up to make them yet.

001_brythonicpens_20170404_705A1929_30-31_.jpg
002_brythonicpens_20170404_705A1934_30-31_.jpg
003_brythonicpens_20170404_705A1937_30-31_.jpg

Edit: Just realised the oranges/yellows are out of whack after the ProPhoto RGB -> SRGB conversion, will keep an eye on that in the future.

fingwe

Registered
First Name
Melanie
They look very nice indeed!

In terms of finishing, the polishing kit from the polishing shop is great. I don't worry about small scratches in acrylic - take the pen tubes off the mandrel and polish on the buffing wheels, going through the two or three compounds (depending on how bad your scratches are) - they get rid of all but the worst scratches. The only thing they don't work on is Alumilite/Polyurethane resin - with that you have to go through the grits and get rid of all of the scratches.

DJB Penmaker

First Name
Derek
Nice pens, If there are any scratches they don't come through in the photos. like the mistral a lot.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

GSteer

Registered
First Name
Greg
T'was more the time getting rid of the scratches Melanie/Derek :) Think my heavy handedness on first stage sanding was the problem, which then points to more practice required getting a pre-sanding smooth finish. I'm buffing as a last stage before the presentation wax layer, but I think it's my early stages that, once practiced, will speed up the later stages.

fingwe

Registered
First Name
Melanie
T'was more the time getting rid of the scratches Melanie/Derek :)

That's exactly what I mean....on a high speed (higher than you're supposed to use for polishing mops) they get rid of all the scratches, a lot quicker than sanding. I hand sand a lot of my stuff, so I use my polishing mops a LOT. :wink:

Themackay

Fellow
First Name
Alan
That's exactly what I mean....on a high speed (higher than you're supposed to use for polishing mops) they get rid of all the scratches, a lot quicker than sanding. I hand sand a lot of my stuff, so I use my polishing mops a LOT. :wink:

Hi Melanie which mops do you use from the polishing shop

fingwe

Registered
First Name
Melanie
Hi Alan,

I use the three stage kit on this page Plastic Polishing Kits I use them at probably around 1500 rpm, and I press fairly hard, all of which isn't advised, but is gets scratches out :wink: Just use caution with the brown tripoli compound - depending on the acrylic it can heat the surface and give it a really rough finish, though it is usually fine on manufactured acrylic blanks. I have actually recently switched the tripoli compound (Menzerna 113GZP) for the Menzerna Glosswax 18 (same B mop), which is slightly less abrasive, but brings polyurethane resins up better than anything else I have found (if you press hard).

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).