• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Panga Panga

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Has anyone used this wood for pens and is it good for turning

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Has anyone used this wood for pens and is it good for turning

I was given some, by I think, Jim, but so far haven't turned it. I have seen quite a few pens from panga panga though so I assume it is okay for pens. I am sure you will find some samples if you search the IAP

Peter

Pierre

Fellow
First Name
Pierre
Yes there was some in a selection of 50 hardwoods that I bought from Penn State a couple of years ago, I looked it up then and decided that since it had the same properties as Wenge that it was necessary to wear a mask and don't get splinters in your hands wenge causes them to inflame. Makes a nice pen though and polishes up nicely .

Have a look here Panga Panga | The Wood Database - Lumber Identification (Hardwood)

PG

lignaterrae

It is indeed very closely related to Wenge but is found is East Africa and Wenge comes from the West of the continent. Its working characteristics are very similar to Wenge. If anything it is slightly better for pens as the structure of the grain is on a slightly smaller scale.

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Thank you guys but I ain't even seen never mind turned Wenge but it sound a bit like turning Black Palmera

Sgreen

Registered
First Name
Simon
Never turned Panga-Panga. If it is similar to Wenge and, although I am no expert in turning I have to say Wenge is horrible to turn but the results after exercising much patients are amazing. Sharp chisels are a must and as mentioned the splinters and dust are a nuisance. It does sand and polish very well making a beautiful pen.

P3080289.jpg P3080285.jpg

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Thank you guys but I ain't even seen never mind turned Wenge but it sound a bit like turning Black Palmera

Not the least like it mate except they are both hard to cut and turn,give a beaut finish. Wenge needs a bit of fire in it to excell IMHO. The Panga Pierre has made gives promise to everyone of its possibilities.

Peter.

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Well I learnt some thing today, always thought a panga was a machete.:think:

Just goes to show Mark you can teach the old ones something new:funny::funny::funny:

And there was you thinking that a Panga panga was a double edged machete:wink:

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Not the least like it mate except they are both hard to cut and turn,give a beaut finish. Wenge needs a bit of fire in it to excell IMHO. The Panga Pierre has made gives promise to everyone of its possibilities.

Peter.

Cheers Peter

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Cheers Peter

A mate here in the A.C.T. lucked onto some tonnes of Wenge and made endless handrails for our outstanding Parliament house. Several furniture items as well. I do not know if you remember but he allowed me first bite pre making available his offcuts to members of our Wood Guild. I had the pick of the pick and found it was a great test of character, the grain is fine and colour can be otherworldly with reds firing through.

Had a lot of different palm tree timber they are all made up of roots which Palm trees consist of. Until the advent of the tungsten tips I happily stayed away from palms now I hop in without fear.

Canberras Parliament House was built on a cost plus basis fuelled by a lottery system over some years the wood working is a testament to fine furniture anywhere. My mate whose 10.000 dollar boxes I have shown before works there now and I have been priviliged to see most of the best there.

Kind reqards Peter.

Pierre

Fellow
First Name
Pierre
Without wishing to hijack Derek's post, you can see Wenge polishes up nicely this was for a gent's watch and cuff link box I made on commission for a chap in the USA. The Panga Panga should polish up just as well.

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Not Hi jacking at all Pierre you are showing roughly what it looks like.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).