• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Pen Blanks

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
Glad you took the plunge.....when I bought my Fijji blanks at Axi the guy double checked the price.....he had not sold any and couldn't believe the price.
You will notice a difference with the blanks "from the tree" as it's a different resin used to Axi's, I really like the smell.
As to other woods, the list is soooooo long.....from just plain timber, ie maple, beech,oak (great when stained) decorative....ie London plane, Mauser birch, olive .....Spalted timbers with distinctive black lines or historical/sentimental woods from old bell towers, boats, garden trees.....I have some oak staves from a Whisky cask Phil (Beaufort ink) has some wine cask staves....the world is your lobster as they say!!

Bammer

Fellow
First Name
Brad
Hi Dave. I can sympathise with you regarding wod / acrylic turning. I prefer acrylics myself a whole lot. My problem was in getting a finish on the wood that I was happy with. I tried the CA approach but abandoned that after I got a set of bushings well glued in! I then reverted to lacquer and got much better finishes - but still nothing like the mirror finish that acrylics give you. Since joining this site I have read Phil's post on using a melamine finish (see the Pen Turning Forum) - and I am going to try that once I have got some family business out of the way and can get back into the garage! I have also got some Rustin's Plastic Coating that one guy posted about in here - and I will try that too. Not trying to influence you - just saying that maybe you'll feel like giving wood another go sometime - and if you do there is useful info here! In the meantime do what gives you the most pleasure - life's too short!!!

Mirror finish on a wooden pen, surely that would make it look more like plastic.

Give me wood over acrylics anytime. But if you want that sort of finish it would detract from the fact that it is wood. Just my opnion

Brad

JerseyBill

First Name
Bill
Mirror finish on a wooden pen, surely that would make it look more like plastic.

Give me wood over acrylics anytime. But if you want that sort of finish it would detract from the fact that it is wood. Just my opnion

Brad

I see your point Brad - as you say, it's personal opinion. Personally I do like a mirror finish - even on a wooden pen, but I am absolutely sure that there are more folk see it from your side. That's one of the things I love about this hobby - room for different opinion and approach! :thumbs:

Bucks

Fellow
First Name
Paul
Dave we have a range of Artisan Pen Blanks made by myself & my wife @ www.penblanksandmoulds.co.uk with nearly all our blanks the photos are of the actual blanks for sale (not just a stock photo), you can then pick the exact blank you want (as long as it’s still available). You can see exactly which ones are still available in the drop down menu & order them directly from there, no messing about like Facebook messaging back & forth lol.

46A2B2AF-9103-41C1-BD75-8548967F07DD.jpg

alpha1

Fellow
First Name
Dave
Dave we have a range of Artisan Pen Blanks made by myself & my wife @ www.penblanksandmoulds.co.uk with nearly all our blanks the photos are of the actual blanks for sale (not just a stock photo), you can then pick the exact blank you want (as long as it’s still available). You can see exactly which ones are still available in the drop down menu & order them directly from there, no messing about like Facebook messaging back & forth lol.

View attachment 36909

I ordered a couple of blanks. :thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).