• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Pen Disassembly

Jim

Grand Master
That is a very good tutorial Walter, any newbie pen turner would be very grateful for this .. Would you mind if i used the link in our tutorial page? It also answers my question on the punches .. These will be handy for the barrons. etc ... :bwink:

nimrod

Graduate Member
First Name
Robin
Hi Jim I bought an Imperial set of transfer punches from Chronos Engineering and have yet to find a pen they dont disassemble.

Jim

Grand Master
Thanks for that nimrod, i bought a set from Amazon this morning, mainly for the barron pens not only for when i make mistakes with the turning, but also when i don't like the finished item, which i have a few of .. :ciggrin:

Old Corky

From the Harbor Freight Stores in the US you can buy a 28 piece punch set, 3/32" to 1/2" punches (by 64ths) for $9.99. The same set at PSI is $19.99. Don't know what shipping would cost but the set will work on just about anything you will ever run into with pens.

PSI also has a pair of padded vice grip pliers to hold the blanks that is very handy.

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Disassembly tools, all a lot of expensive over engineered c**p. You can get these rods much cheaper than what I paid for them. Some one with an engineering background can tell us what they are called, but this kit does the lot>

You put the rod in one end and tap with a hammer so that that the component you are trying to knock out is covered by your hand and doesn't fly across the room! Used it on a slimline this evening because I was a plonker and left the clip off!

EDIT comments. Didnt check the dates on the original post, Corky had bumped it and I read the first page as new! Me plonker, but at least I know know they are called transfer punches!!!!!!!!!!!

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
Disassembly tools, all a lot of expensive over engineered c**p. You can get these rods much cheaper than what I paid for them. Some one with an engineering background can tell us what they are called, but this kit does the lot>

You put the rod in one end and tap with a hammer so that that the component you are trying to knock out is covered by your hand and doesn't fly across the room! Used it on a slimline this evening because I was a plonker and left the clip off!
Transfer Punches

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).