• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Pen mandrel saver

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
No you haven't created a mandrel saver as the tailstock end needs to spin with mandrel, hence the use of a bearing.
But you could straighten your mandrel with it by sliding it length of the bar a few times until you see no light if that's your preferred method of checking it.

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
I bought this pen mandrel from Craft Supplies in the 90's, seems these new mandrel savers work on the same principle. The mandrel shaft is loose/removable and can be replaced if needed.

I have got one just like that.. I modified my tail stock so it will work just the same as the mandrel saver. Not sure why its called a mandrel saver tho...! I have a normal mandrel as well with a brass knurled nut on the end and funnily enough that turns pens as well....:thinks:

Sorry am I missing something here?:nooidea:

Ian

Apprentice Member
I think some of you are missing the point if you read my post you will see that the mandrel saver has to be the same size as the mandrel shaft. ( Eg the same hole as is in the bushings ) and it has to push against the bushing by using light force from the tail stock as said The mandrel has to be free turning the same as a live centre. by putting the knurled nut on first you are not fixing the problem .

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
I think some of you are missing the point if you read my post you will see that the mandrel saver has to be the same size as the mandrel shaft. ( Eg the same hole as is in the bushings ) and it has to push against the bushing by using light force from the tail stock as said The mandrel has to be free turning the same as a live centre. by putting the knurled nut on first you are not fixing the problem .

And my point is, if you have the adjuster at the headstock end simply adjust it there and a mandrel saver is not required

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I think the concept of the mandrel saver is that all the pressure the tailstock can put on the mandrel is transferred to the bushes and the pen blank which removes the risk of bending the mandrel and getting a misshaped pen and or a bent mandrel which I think every turner has done at some time or other so in effect it has saved a mandrel which cant be a bad thing also it dose away with the need for a nut on the end which I personalty have dropped on many occasions and had to find in among all the shavings on the floor or get another one because I cant find it the times I've done that so I think I will add one to my Christmas wish list LOL

Ian

Apprentice Member
Yes Woody has got it right it is not for adjusting the length but to change the way the load is applied as he has said. may be it wasn't clear on that sorry .
Ian

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).