• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Pen Mandrel Saver

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Walter, I can now see the advantage of pressure alterations with the benefit of not stopping the lathe. I take it that the threaded section of the mandrel end is designed to operate well inside the mandrel saver, I guess there is an argument to suggest that if you are using an adjustable length mandrel then you dont have to alter the length of the exposed rod to change pen types??

OK - have removed it from the cant see the point list but not rushing out to buy one yet!

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
I've been using one of these for quite a while now and its great. Be careful though with superglue I'm on my second one after glue got into it and no matter how much I hammered it, I couldn't get it apart again. I now always put wax in before using it... just in case.:winking:

I poured half a bottle of CA over my live centre (and lathe, and digital callipers, and hands,and ...) because when I screwed the top off the nozzle went with it and I didn't look, just tipped it over. :vangry::vangry::vangry:

Screwed the outer bearing off the live centre and used Superglue Debonder to get the muck out. Touch wood, seems to all be fine now.

turnaround360

Caracktycus Pots
Fellow
First Name
Frank
Go to the pound shop get some nail varnish remover or acetone and soak all parts untill the glue disolves then dry and soak in oil .

rowdyyates115

It's Showtime.....
Fellow
I poured half a bottle of CA over my live centre (and lathe, and digital callipers, and hands,and ...) because when I screwed the top off the nozzle went with it and I didn't look, just tipped it over. :vangry::vangry::vangry:

Screwed the outer bearing off the live centre and used Superglue Debonder to get the muck out. Touch wood, seems to all be fine now.

Thats my tricks.... must have handed the 'CA Stick Up' badge to you....:banana:

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
Walter, I can now see the advantage of pressure alterations with the benefit of not stopping the lathe. I take it that the threaded section of the mandrel end is designed to operate well inside the mandrel saver, I guess there is an argument to suggest that if you are using an adjustable length mandrel then you dont have to alter the length of the exposed rod to change pen types??

OK - have removed it from the cant see the point list but not rushing out to buy one yet!

That's right Neil, if you have a hollow tailstock the mandrel will pass right through the mandrel saver so you never need to adjust the length of the mandrel at the headstock end. You could even use a fixed mandrel. As you say, not essential but has its uses.

Jim

Grand Master

Plonker!! :thumbs:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Jim,

Let me admit that the first time I saw a wood lathe I was devastated at the cack handed way it was designed and literally thrown together without any real attempt at an engineering masterpiece they in my mind should be firstly for the price secondly for accuracy.
The common excuse used to be its only for wood you know. What do you expect for fourpence Crayfish? The I saw my first mandrel a horror production with a long 1/4 inch roughly stem extending from the one piece soft steel no 2 morse taper base, then the least exciting thing was the tiny recess for the tip of a live centre invariably never matching ( 60 degrees and all that never talked about) thats when I made my first wood lathe then eliminating the point entry to the mandrel, having observed my mates all forcing their other turning hand to the spinning pair of blanks I decided and ever since practiced only turning half a pen at a time shortening the mandrel, cutting off the threaded section and recessing the mandrel around 3/8 th of an inch into a brass sleeve fitted into the live centre thus creating the very first form of mandrel saving. Did I cop a serve from non handy turners.

Now what I would like to see is a collett holder fitted to an accurate no 2 morse taper shaft (mission accomplished) what I did for years was use a thread converted spare chuck from my Hercus Metal Lathe (smallish one) with a fitted shield to protect my nuckles from the three jaws. Spent an innordinate time matching the two points from the head and tail stock (try that sometime) and find more short comings of wood lathes 9 No adjustment abilities etc).

Perhaps I should stop here because I have applied these principles to every part of pen turning to make repeatability, comfortable for me including a sit down bench adjacent pen press,variable speed tiny buffer etc plus plus.

Guess what one year to go for 80 yrs tells me if their is a better way and I feel I can improve my lot I will, so disregard all of what I say for yourself fight your own battle of Warterloo but do not be downhearted when you try to share pen turners unite to pick holes in every little thing rather than put them to the test.

With regard to Mandrel Savers I have purchased many different ones, used them all to find out for myself how true the description and technical production actually is imagine for example how I feel when prepurchase the gab says precission and I find a 4 dollar tiny bearing designed for round thrust no concern for push thrust and extravagent claims of accuracy etc the dependant bearing.

Anyway yes I am in favour of Mandrel Saving in the best way possible for ease of use in my dedicated Pen Turning Lathe, the heavy steel bench I welded fitted an 1 1/4 inch laminated top bolted on the lathe driven from the head stock to a three phase motor mounted on the left hand side on top of the bench for free leg space and ease of fitting a separate infinite speed controller, really enjoy making and using the forty odd mods since to fine tune allowing me to design and build happily at my bench.

To the Anti or luke warm mandrel lovers I salute you hastening to say threr is always a better way to suit everyone.

To reply in all things with great humour and comaraderie is noble easy and less time consuming so to this end finding contentment with acheiving will satisfy me more, have fun I intend to.

Kind regards Peter.:thinks:

Jim

Grand Master
Thanks for that Peter, your posts are always to the point and very interesting. I like how you can keep us on the edge of our seats with the stories which you have experienced over the years ... :thumbs:

Jim

Grand Master
Well all i can say is good things about this mandrel, no more messing about with the knurl, leave the mandrel rod at the same length for one or two blanks, see pictures below ... Not only is it a mandrel saver it is a time saver also ... :bwink:

pen_mandrel_saver.jpg

IMG_00000050.jpg

I have ignored this tool for a long time, i would recommend that you don't do the same ... :thumbs:

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
thanks for taking time to post the pictures Jim.

Does the mandrell just pass through the center of the saver & in turn the saver applies pressure on the rear bushing via the tail stock so holding the blank tight?

Presumably the saver also has a bearing between the morse taper part & the body to allow it to rotate?

It would certainly save time with my mandrell which is basically a 6mm nut & bolt.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
| Never wanted one, never needed one and wouldn't know what to do with the extra millisecond I would save by not screwing a knurled nut.
What a load of utter tripe I have read here as if you really think this is a boon to your pen turning.
It's just another must have piece of kit that will get abandoned when you learn to turn between centres.
You lot do like to chuck your money at unnecessary junk init?

Jim

Grand Master
Does the mandrell just pass through the center of the saver & in turn the saver applies pressure on the rear bushing via the tail stock so holding the blank tight?

Presumably the saver also has a bearing between the morse taper part & the body to allow it to rotate?

You have it Doug ... :bwink:

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
I must have one ..think I'll wait until someone says 'Dad,what do you want for Xmas':fart:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).