• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Pen of the Week is changing.

Bammer

Fellow
First Name
Brad
Phil...I hope you have read all of the comments from the Peanut Gallery thus far.

First, I hope you realize that you have opened Pandora's Box.

Second, I hope this works and that you do NOT discover that Thomas Jefferson was right..."Democracy doesn't work when you give the vote to the great unwashed masses" (please read "pen-makers"). Speaking from the side of the ocean that was not wise enough to establish a constitutional monarchy in the first place, I think you have a long road ahead of you, brother. You now have a weekly battle to fight. ("Come on, guys...won't somebody vote, for Christ's sake?") The outcome of the war may be fine, but the battles....?

I recommend a lottery for POTW. ("It'll only costs five pounds to get in weekly," and Phil can go abroad to visit me once in a while.)

Do we have to let the Colonials vote ?? .... them from over the pond and those from down under :funny::funny::funny::funny::funny:

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
Long live confusion. To avoid it is up to us conscripted members to vote. Now its rigged this way,we all will know whose pen it is and will be drawn to firm favourites. If we are scrupulously fair any system will work. Every week there have been outstanding pens and I trust will be in the future. It is unusual for the board of management to be allowed to compete to keep the appearance of neutrality.

It has been previously nominated as under the direction of Phil as the owner of the forum, guided this way the previous winner chose the next. An important feature has to be no scores only the final one announced,no coaching or influences.

Now for the fixed parameters,does it need to be a pen? Can it be item of the week,if a pen then it is hard to not be influenced by Kit or No Kit,Timber or Plastic or whatever. Difficult to judge one school of thought from another.

AS for me I am a loyal member who will make my vote according to the rules.

Phil two posts back you asked for thoughts these are mine.

Peter.

... and they're appreciated Peter, thanks.

Yes with a tiny bit of research, the maker of each pen will be apparent, and yes all pens posted during the week are eligible, irrespective of who made it. For this first time at least, the leader board will also be obvious, but who actually voted, and for which pen, won't be public.

I hope that people will simply vote for their favourite pen. The idea is to keep rules to a minimum and allow everyone a say in the result, whilst encouraging a few more people to post their work. The last thing I want to do is to introduce a whole list of dos and donts as if it's a major competition with huge prizes. We will have some competitions before too long, which will be run along more rigorous lines, but I want to keep POTW light hearted and a bit of fun. I hope also that people won't vote for their own pen. You won't be able to tell, but I will.

I think though, that given this is a pen turning forum, with a few other things shown from time to time, it does need to be a pen (or a a pencil), yes.

The thing is though, if it turns out not to work that way, it can always be tweaked, or we can even go back to the old way, but lets give it a go and see what happens.

Mikeuk54

First Name
Mike
I received a reminder to vote in the POTW poll.
Duly logged on via my mobile, guess what? I cant vote via this tool?! No where was there any button to push or vote on just the picture of each pen and no way of commenting on them either. Strange?
So until I can work this out I shall have to sit down in front of my computer and do the voting. :winking:

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
You may have got there a bit too late [MENTION=1793]Mikeuk54[/MENTION] - the voting closed on Wednesday evening I'm afraid. Before then, a button would have shown on your mobile, but it automatically disappears once the vote closes.

Thanks very much for taking the time to vote though, even though you were thwarted at the last hurdle. There'll be another vote stating on Sunday though, so do pop back and have a look at this week's pens.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).